Chapter 36

Alessio carefully walked over to the house he had visited so many times before while he was still engaged to Valeria. His heart was thumping loudly as he carefully stepped inside the front yard. The place looked as well-kept as usual. He wondered how long had it been since he last stepped his foot over there. So many things had happened recently starting from his accident, to his breakup with Valeria, to finding out the crazy truth about his father's past and the fact that he had another brother had made him forgot about her. It was none of his intention, he was trying to drive to her house that day when he had gotten into the accident because he genuinely wanted to see her. How ironic it was that despite being one of the most influential young businessman in Italy his life was quite different than what he has always been portrayed, especially when it came down to his love life. He could still briefly remember when his relationship with Valeria was the center of envy in Italian high society because of how compatible they were in the public's eyes. Little did they know there was so much more between the two than what meets the eyes.

As he knocked on the door, he was starting to become really nervous, he was slightly trembling from his own thoughts, soon after, the door was opened. His Rose stood there wearing a satin white gown which showed a little bit of her cleavage, but most importantly, it showed a bit of her baby bump which was starting to grow, it was still fairly little and unnoticeable but it was visible. She looked slightly surprised by his sudden visitation. Well, he had not informed in advance that he was planning to come. She was not even dressed up, her hair was slightly messy as she appeared to have just woken up from a nap, her face looked tired but she still had that glow which made her appear youthful, or maybe it was just pregnancy glow, but she was glowing nonetheless.

"Alessio, you were not picking up my calls for the past few days, I thought... I thought something happened to you, I was starting to get worried" she bluntly expressed as she hugged him. Yes, she had no idea what he had been through, it was easy for her to be worried for him but truth to be told she was supposed to be worried for herself. He had no idea if it was due to her naïve and positive thinking nature, she did not seem to notice the gloomy air that surrounded him, she was just relieved that he was there, alive and well. He gently placed his arms around her shoulder and made a gesture to pull her away.

"We should talk inside" he stated. She nodded and the two of them went inside the house. They took a seat in the living room, it was the familiar brown leather sofa he was so familiar of where they had made love so many times before.

"I have been wanting to tell you this for as long as I can remember" a huge grin was spread across her face, she clasped her hands together and took a deep breath. Biting her lips, she finally gathered the courage to announce the news he had known about but had no heart to confess to her.

"I am pregnant, Alessio. I am pregnant with our baby. Soon we'll be parents" he stood up and pulled her into a hug. He had no idea if it was even a sincere heart because they news had come to him as both a blessing and a curse. On one side he was glad that he was going to be a father because he was still quite conservative when it came down to his family values. Alessio still believed in family bonds. The problem was he was unsure if she was the family he wanted to have. After all, she was his mistress and they never had anything official to begin with. Did he love her? He did. It was just... difficult. She came from a completely different world than his. He was unsure if his family would accept her. And about their unborn child, it was also a difficult decision for him.

"Alessio, what's wrong? You don't look very happy about the news. Aren't you glad? We're going to be parents? We can finally live together and I can get to meet your family and everything. You promised me that you will bring me to them, did not you?" he could see the smile started to fade from his face from the way he reacted. He knew she did not deserve it. His Rose was a kind, innocent woman, she was sinless. It was his fault, he knew that much. What was he supposed to do? His family would never accept her, especially not after discovering Valentino's relationship with Valeria, which if it was true and in the end they ended up getting married, Valeria would be part of his family. She would eventually carry a Saverino, only, she came from a family equally as powerful as his, they would not want to seek problem with Valenza. There was no way Valeria or Valentino would be okay with Rosanna entering the family as well. Not after the hospital incident.

She did not deserve it. She deserved to know the truth.

"I have not been completely honest to you. There are actually things I have been hiding from you this whole time and I think it is time for you to know the truth" he took a deep breath as she was listening intently.

"Before I met you, I was already engaged with someone else, but I never loved that person and I was unhappy in the relationship. Then during my trip to Prague I met you. You captured my heart with your kindness and brightness. I was never using you purely for sex. It's just lately things have been complicated" he told her everything that had happened and she was listening with teary eyes. She never thought the man was someone else's. He introduced himself as a single man before and he had always promised her that one day he would bring her to meet his family and one day they would be married, but turned out it was all just a mere lie. The love he had provided for her was just his escape from the other woman, even if he did love her to begin with, everything was still a lie.

"But I have cut off my relationship with her and now I am available for you. I will find a way to get you into the family" she fell on the couch with a fallen expression. She had no idea how to response to that. She thought she would be smiling that day and she thought her life would be wonderful after that, but she was wrong, dead wrong. She was too naïve. She thought he was an honest man, she should have known better. A man at his level could not possibly be single. She should have known since the beginning. He was too good for her to be true. Tears escaped her eyes as she tried to comprehend the emotions she was feeling. It was too much for her to handle.

"I will take responsibility for it. I will never abandon our child. Please, just give me a bit of time, I will sort everything out. I promise" he spoked as he kneeled before her. He grabbed her hand and tried to make her look at him but she would not. She felt dirty. She felt betrayed. The fact that she had ruined someone else's relationship without knowing it drove her nuts.

"Rose, please look at me, please" he pleaded. She did not budge.

"Rose, please... I love you. I genuinely love you. I-"

"Alessio. Stop. Please. Just stop. I want to be left alone for now. Please leave. I don't want to see you" she stated. Alessio had never seen her acting like that, she was always so bright and happy to see him. Her gloomy self sparked guilt within him. Yet he understood. It was better that he left her alone for the time being. Clearly she was not in her right mind. It was better to give her some space and time for her to think about what she wanted. Amusing, for once he actually thought about what she wanted. Yes, he nearly laughed at himself when the thought came into his head.

He stood up and placed his palm on her hair, gently stroking it before he retreated and turned his back toward her, reaching for the door. He turned around once more and gave her a sympathetic look before closing it and walked toward his car. As he was settling down, he found himself in further misery. He felt like such a fool, did he really win at anything in life? What was the purpose of having everything if he was going to be alone at the end of the day? Whatever, that was a problem for another day.