Chapter 7

After dinner was over, it was time for the main event, the host started to talk again. Their attention was once again back to the host, but by then Valentino could sense the intensity on their table from the passive aggressiveness of Adrienne, which was why he made sure to pay more attention to Valeria, since he did not want her to feel even more upset. In the middle, he secretly held her hands from under the table, she was startled by this, since someone might have seen it and developed the wrong impression on their relationship, but Valentino did not care, he threw a soft glance at her, she stared up at him, not sure how to react, but then she just smiled a bit and continued paying attention to the host.

Allegra who was seated beside her could see what was going on, her eyes diverted from the host to their hands which were entwined together, she had a strong sense of mixed feeling when she saw it, she knew for the longest time that Valentino had some feelings for her. Allegra herself had known both of them for the longest, since she became Valeria's best friend, naturally, she was also introduced to Valentino, and she knew since the day they met, he was someone she would fascinate over, he was a bit rebellious in a way, but he had an air of class and chivalry which she admired, she was sure she had met some with similar personality to his. In her eyes, he was commendable, but at the same time, she was also worried for him and Valeria, she knew Valeria had always loved and preferred Alessio over him, they were of the same age after all, while Valentino was younger, Valeria had often told her she was more fond of Alessio because he reminded her of a handsome prince charming in fairy tale, while Valentino was like the younger brother she never had.

Knowing her circumstance then, it would be problematic if the two of them became even closer, she knew she should not meddle in, but something in her wanted to interfere with their relationship.

"Allegra, what's wrong?" Valeria suddenly turned to her best friend with a concerned expression, Allegra snapped out of her own mind and put on a smile. She did not want to worry her or made her suspicious.

"It's nothing" Valeria was not convinced but she did not want to pursue the matter further. She turned her attention back to the host. Allegra breathed in relief.

Dio, keep that thought far away from me, she's my best friend.

Adrienne on the side had long shut her mouth, but she was still watching and observing, it did not take too long for her to realize there was definitely something going on between the two, which if true, would cause quite a scandal, though she knew it was none of her business, since she would be back to France soon anyway, she still found it quite amusing, though she was annoyed with the fact that Valentino acted so caring and almost protectively toward Valeria, in her eyes, Valeria was not even that stunning compared to most women she had met in her life.

There was another person though, in the table, who had been paying a close attention to Valeria, the blue eyed young man who was seated two seats beside Valentino, he had been noticing her since she entered the room with her beautiful purple gown, he never thought they would be put on the same seat together, but apparently fate was on his side because soon after he was seated, she was introduced on the same table as he was. When Adrienne had said she was engaged, he felt slightly disappointed, but it did not make him shy away from the possibility of knowing her, at least they could be acquaintance, since she seemed like a sweet and wonderful person, of course, he was not going to lie, he was intrigued by her appearance first and foremost, but then her demeanor, the way she spoke, and her radiant soft, feminine aura truly drew him in, she was not exactly a femme fatale character which he was usually drawn to, not a damsel in distress as well, she was something in between sweet and bold, still nice and polite, but he felt she had a much deeper side to her.

Silvano Nero had no idea that when he entered the charity gala that night, he would be able to meet a woman as stunning as Valeria, she possessed that vintage, old school beauty which was becoming more and more rare as more women decided to conduct cosmetic procedures and plastic surgery on themselves. He had nothing against them, but he had a higher appreciation for a natural beauty like her.