🎶 Chapter 6

*A/n* - It might be a good idea to get that packet of Kleenex ready...

Don't say I didn't warn you.

****

You looked next to you in bed and Billie was still fast asleep. You smiled at you watched him breathing, his chest going up, down, up and down, and back up again. You thought about how lucky you were to be his wife and to wake up next to him every morning. You found yourself grabbing hold of your chest quickly as another sharp pain shot through it once again. This had been happening more and more often lately and you had no idea what it was. 

You moved in bed so that you lay on your side and felt your chest properly. It was sore to touch even through your shirt and there was a lump there. It was hard to touch, but not necessarily sore. You stopped as you felt Billie move next to you in the bed and pull you closer to him. "Morning Baby." He said, kissing you. You rolled back over to look at him. 

"Morning." You smiled as you placed your lips on his. You stayed in bed for a little while before you both got up. Billie showered and headed into the studio with Mike and Tre and you grabbed a shower. You looked at yourself in the mirror and noticed that it was significantly red around your breast. You sighed when you realised that you could need to show it to a Doctor. You got dressed and paced about, wondering what you should do, and eventually, you decided to be on the safe side and make an appointment. 

"Hello," You spoke down the phone. "I was wondering if I could book an appointment?"

"Of course." The woman who you assumed was the receptionist said cheerily. "May I ask what it is regarding?"  You had to stead yourself as she felt your hands shaking nervously, and your legs shaking beneath you; you took a seat. "I've found a lump and I'm worried it could be serious." You admitted.

"Of course." She said, and you heard her clicking away at her keyboard. "How soon can you come in? Can you come in this morning?" This was confirmation that her concerns could be right; this could be serious. "I can. I can be there now."

"Good, we'll see you soon then." You found yourself running around your house, grabbing your jacket and running to find your keys for the car. You jumped in and started the car, driving to the doctor's office. The whole way there, you were hoping, praying, that nothing was wrong and you were just being paranoid or a hypochondriac. All you could do was pray to God that everything would be fine. You pulled into the parking lot and sat in your car for a little bit, but you knew that sitting there would do you no good; you had to face this.

"Hello, I'm Mrs Armstrong. I rang earlier." You said to the woman behind the desk and as you said your name, you felt a pang of guilt that Billie had no idea where you were or what was happening. You weren't going to tell him anything, not yet anything. You wanted to see what was happening. "Yes, hello." She smiled. "There's a doctor in room four that is waiting to see you. You can go straight through." She pointed towards the doors and you thanked her. 

You went through and very quickly found the room that you were supposed to be in. You knocked and heard a voice from the inside telling you to go in. The doctor smiled at you as you closed the door behind you. "Hello, Mrs Armstrong. I'm Doctor Thompson." She said, shaking your hand. "Please take a seat." She said, gesturing towards an empty chair next to her desk. "If I understand correctly, you've found a lump on your chest."

"That's correct." You said as she gave you a small smile as if to say 'you're very brave to be sat here talking about it'. You thought about it, you were brave. "Do you mind if I have a look?" She asked, and you shook your head, feeling nauseous at how real all of this was becoming. "Can you remove your jacket and t-shirt for me." You did as you were asked, and ended up sat there, half-naked with a woman that you didn't know, messing with your chest. It felt wrong. You were exposed, with someone else seeing what only you, and Billie, should see. You wondered what Billie would think if he knew that you were sat here, in this position, now.

"There is quite a bit of redness there and there is quite a significant lump." She said. 

"The redness has been there for a little bit, but I thought it was just a little bit of irritation or something. I only noticed the lump this morning when I got chest pains, so I am a bit concerned."

"I can understand why and I think it's great that you phoned up when you did." She admitted. "I would like to run some tests because I think that you are correct to be concerned about this." You agreed to tests and you didn't get out of there till an hour or so later. "I will ring you as soon as I have the results." Doctor Thompson had said before you left. You drove home, your mind whirring as you thought about what had just happened and it felt like a bad dream. 

You pulled into the driveway, Billie wasn't home yet. You got out of the car, unlocked your front door and entered your empty house. You looked around, so used to the sound of children in the house that now they were all gone, it seemed strange to you, even if they hadn't been there for nearly several years. It surprised you when you started crying. It was an uncontrollable sob as everything replayed in your mind, but you stopped when your phone rang. You looked at the screen as it lit up. It was Jakob. You wiped your eyes and answered it:

"Hey, Jakob." You said, waiting to hear his voice speak to you on the other end. 

"Hey! Are you okay?" He asked. "I came round before but you weren't there."

"You did?" You asked, disappointed. "Sorry, I was out running some errands." You lied; he didn't need to know where you actually were. "Oh right. Is Dad at the studio?" 

"He is." You told him. "He should be back soon though." You said, wiping your eyes.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked. "You sound upset." Your heart dropped in your chest. "I'm fine, honestly. I think I'm coming down with a cold." You felt bad that you were lying to him but what other choice did you have right now? You and Jakob spoke for a little bit longer before he had to go, but you made sure to tell him, several times, that you loved him. "I love you too, Mom." He said before you hung up and waited for Billie to come home. When he did, you hugged him tight and told him how much you loved him too. 

Everything was going to be okay. It had to be.