Chapter Fifty Seven

Começar do início

"Lonastasius Treanole..." The voice belonged to Minister Horne. "Lon come this way." He could hear his arch-enemy speak to him even though the priest was nowhere to be seen. Was this the cat? The tangy stench of its feces and dirty fur was in the air.  The guardian was close. There were no rats around and that was another sign the cat was near. He'd just go slow and manage his fear by concentrating on his fire. He knew the enemy priest was not present either but he marveled at the beast's ability to make that voice in his head, just as Horne had done.

"Lonny. Turn back," his mother spoke in his head as clear as if she stood beside him and the sound of her voice shocked the lad. He knew right then that's how it worked. The cat's command makes mental misfires which cause the target to hear the voices of the people he considers most important; it mixes memories with emotions. 

Once he realized the truth, Lon was imbued with increased courage; the working theory greatly strengthened his resolve. He reckoned he could overcome this beast's ploy simply by remaining calm and carrying on.

"Neeeoowggggrrrr," the cat spoke again.

"It'ss Gillum," Lon heard Tharus say amidst the rattle of deck chains back on the Annabelle.  He remembered how the body of Gilum Vlox was unshackled and thrown overboard. That was death my blunders caused. I'm not a savior. I'm a screw-up, and I always have been.

The lad collapsed against the corridor wall and wept. His flame ball set silky shrouds alight and spiders scurried to safety. He cried for five minutes in honour of Gilum Vlox, a great merchant and master trader. The whole company had been ruined by Lon and his big mouth. While in Havista with a cargo of smuggled goods he'd told his adventures to a pretty lass who worked for the harbourmaster.  He spilled their secrets simply because she asked so sweetly only to find he'd completely sold out his mates. Twenty four minuchin were taken by the Crols that day. That was his life's greatest mistake. He would always feel that pain...

There it was. Fifty feet away. A pair of yellow cat eyes reflected the flame in his hand. Oh Kluth save me now.

The manticor stepped forward and Lon choked with terror. Lon saw its mangy coat and how it was missing tufts of fur on its face and body . The creature had short spiky whiskers and its eyebrows bent in a cruel expression that conveyed a hungry curiosity. Its ears were behind its head which made it look ready to pounce. It was a horrible sight that would paralyze the bravest warriors, but in that moment something comforted him.

A sudden warmth melted down Lon's spine and he sensed he wasn't alone. Someone prayed for him and he felt their prayers. If Gilum could see me now he'd be proud. the thought came unexpectedly, and then another; Kluth himself is my instructor and I'm on a clean path to the innocents in the world above. He needed to quench his emotions and become the unfeeling monster this cat most feared. He calmed himself by pouring more smilk into the fire bubble on his wrist; he increased its size and felt its heat and bravely took another step forward toward the beast.

"Neowwwgerr," the manticor spoke and Lon felt the smilkripple. The cat was the size of a bullock and its jaws were bigger than his head. When the creature hissed it showed all of its teeth. It was absolutely terrifying and when it meowed it sent smilk into the air to make itself appear even more dreadful.

I should back-up. I should run. Run! No. Stop. That's what it wants. Lon thought back on all the wicked feigor and fantastic creatures he'd faced. His journey thus far had been filled with blood thirsty terrors that sought to panic opponents into reckless flight so they'd be easier prey. Even the yak in the stables preferred to strike when a trespassers' back was turned. In that instant the young lad considered Ruby Key's famous bestiary, The Beasts Below the Beasts We Know. He'd just seen the book in Atar's library three days ago. The front of the text had a checklist appraisal process and the writer stressed that every creature encountered below had both strengths and weaknesses. What was this creature's flaw?