Chapter 14/Consequences

Start from the beginning

"Or maybe he got constipated," Hatim jokes, returning from the kitchen with a bottle of water.

"Who got constipated?" comes the voice of Sheru who looks like he took a shower with his hair dripping water onto the fuzzy mat that my mom ADORES.

We all stifle a laugh.

"Dude, if my mom sees that you're getting water on her favorite rug, she might never let you come here again," I nod at him, motioning to the white rug with my thumb. Mom doesn't even let us boys sit in the living room, but because she is out and about enjoying with her only five friends, we're all lying here.

My phone starts ringing.

Confusion and shock courses through me. I don't waste a second before hitting accept, afraid she might be in some sort of danger.

"What happened, are you okay?"

Haya sniffs. "Aarib?"

I bolt up into sitting position. Everyone in the room falls silent and stares at me. My heart pounds madly in my chest. If anyone laid a finger on her. . .

"Hey, I'm here. What's wrong? What happened?"

She breaks into a full sob. "I don't know why I am crying. I just cannot stop crying!"

"Haya, tell me what's wrong," I insist her. Why is she crying? "Are you home? I'm coming over." I almost disconnect the line when her shrieky voice echoes in my ears.

"NO! Don't come here. It's just that. . .I just saw a bad dream."

"Haya!" I groan, falling back on the sofa and closing my eyes. This woman almost scared the crap out of me! "I thought something happened to you. Crap. You scared me so bad." I nod at my friends who looked ready to fight, telling them silently everything's fine, and leave the room to get alone.

"No you don't get it," she mumbles, a little less hyper now. She's also stopped crying. "It was that bad. I saw you hurt in my dream. Pretty hurt. I woke up crying."

The night wind envelops me in it's cool embrace, snaking around me, making me shiver a little. Should've brought my jacket with me outside.

I feel it again, that weird foreign feeling in my chest returns. "Mhmm? Just a dream. I'm fine."

She takes in a huge breath and I just listen to her silently. I think. . .I am actually falling for her. Crap. When did I let my guards down? How could I fall for someone? Developing feelings was one thing I promised myself I wouldn't do, and yet I broke the rule. Moreover, I think I also know what I feel when she's around or when I merely hear her voice.

"You sure you're completely okay?" she asks once again. It's like she wants to be convinced somehow, but my statement is doing nothing to help her get peace.

I kick a pebble with my foot. "Haya, I am okay. What about you? You feeling okay?" Last time I saw her in the morning, she was in a bad state. I wouldn't blame her, considering what I told her wouldn't have made anyone else less scared. She really is a brave girl.

Just not brave enough to marry me.

"Yes. . ."

I sense a but coming on it's way.

"I thought about it a lot today. I don't mind putting my life at risk—"

"Oh, I sure shot mind that," I cut her, suddenly furious. Is she even for real?

"—but I can't afford to put my family's life in danger too. There weren't any options I could come up with. . .but I thought of going to the police."