45

At Elena's home, Mallory was kneeling on the ground, being forced to clean Elena's house by Caroline, who was insistent on her helping.

"What did you do with the ashes?" Caroline asked Mallory, breaking the silence between them, "You were gone for a while, after Tyler fled. You left with Kol's body."

"I put the ashes in a vase and brought them to Klaus," Mallory informed Caroline in a calm tone, "It was only fair that he had his brother's ashes in his possession."

"Something happened..." Caroline trailed off, letting out a large sigh, "Between you and Kol when he returned to Mystic Falls, didn't it?"

Mallory remained silent, but nodded her head. "I still can't believe he's dead," She admitted in a whisper, tears beginning to form in her eyes, "The moment I get close to him, he dies?" She asked, letting out a large scoff, "I must be cursed."

"You're not cursed, Mal. It wasn't your fault," Caroline assured her and just then, the door opened, "Hey, you're home. Mal and I were trying to clean the burn mark where Kol—" She began to tell Elena as she stood up, only to freeze at the sight of Stefan carrying Jeremy's dead body, "We couldn't get the spot out."

Stefan exchanged a look with Caroline and Mallory. While Caroline was shocked and horrified by the sight of Jeremy, Mallory remained calmly. She knew it must have been Katherine's doing. She should have felt bad, but in all honesty, she didn't.

"Come on," Elena demanded in a stern tone as she headed for the stairs, "Let's get him upstairs."

Once Stefan was up the stairs, Caroline turned to Mallory, the two of them exchanging a look.

_____

Downstairs, Caroline was emptying a bucket while Mallory sat on the counter, not helping in the slightest. "How long has she been like that?" Mallory asked Stefan, who stood near them.

"Ever since we found his body," Stefan confessed, sighing in defeat, "She hasn't said anything except that she's waiting for him to wake up."

"But he's not going to wake up," Caroline reminded her, a confused look on her face, "She knows that, right?"

Stefan placed his finger to his lips, telling her to be quiet. He walked over to the sink, turning on the water. He turned to Caroline and Mallory, beginning to talk once more. "Look. Deep down, I think she has to, but we're talking about Elena here. She feels grief more powerfully than anyone else. I think her denial is the one thing protecting her from letting it all in."

"She can't stay like that forever," Caroline sighed in defeat as she shook her head.

"I know, but I don't want to be the one to break her out of it, not until we know Bonnie is safe, not until we get Damon over here, to, you know..." Stefan trailed off awkwardly.

"Use the sire bond to convince her that everything is okay?" Caroline asked, an annoyed look on her face as Stefan nodded his head.

"I'm not in denial," Elena suddenly spoke up, causing the group to turn to her.

"Is that so?" Mallory asked in a sarcastic tone.

Stefan and Mallory exchanged a look before Mallory turned off the sink and climbed off the counter, "I know that he was supernatural, but did you see?" Elena asked them almost desperately, "His tattoo is gone. The tattoo had the spell that opened Silas' chamber. Maybe it being gone mean that he's fulfilled his supernatural destiny. Maybe he's back to normal. It's possible, right?"

"Elena..." Caroline trailed off, letting out a large sigh.

"It's possible, Caroline," Elena snapped at Caroline in a stern tone, "There's a chance. It may be minuscule, but it's hope, and I'm gonna hold on to that hope with everything I've got because there's no way that my—" She began to say, only to cut herself off with a sigh, "There's absolutely no way that my brother is dead."