1

She woke up, gasping for air. Sweat beaded on her forehead and her white blonde hair clung to the back of her neck. She sat up, taking a deep breath and pulled up the straps of her night gown. Her place in the bed was wet with a hot sweat that was dripping down her body. She threw off the covers of the bed and gently slid off the bed, as to not awake the figure that slept next her. With her feet dangling over the edge of the bed, she shook her head, as if in doing so, would shake the nightmare from her mind. She stood up, blood rushing to her head and the room started to spin. She grabbed the edge of the bed, to steady herself. A couple of breaths and the room started to stop spinning. 

 She reached over to the chair by the door and grabbed her navy silk robe, wrapping it around her muscular body. Her pale white skin shone bright in the moonlight that peaked through the closed blinds. There was a cold breeze calling her which was coming through the half open bedroom door. The light coming from the door was also brighter and more inviting than the darkness of the room she was in. The figure in the bed started to move, rolling over and pulling up the covers. She gently tiptoed out of the bedroom and closed the door behind her.

Running her fingers through her hair, she walked out of the bedroom, down the hall and out into the kitchen and dinning room. The moon lit up this space, making it easy to see the shapes of the furniture. She walked into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of water. She did not realise how thirsty she was as she glopped it down. Putting the glass into the sink and she walked towards the balcony, pulling out her hair from under her robe. She opened the balcony door and walked out into the night. 

The cold night breeze made her silk nightgown flutter in the wind, unsticking it from the sweat on her back. She shivered as the breeze cooled her over heated body. It was so peaceful, her mind was calm for a moment. The darkness left and for a moment there was nothing. No thoughts, no confusion, no worry. Just her and night. She leaned against the balcony, which was high above the city. The privilege of royalty. To be high above the dirt and poverty of the city street below. Other skyscrapers stood bright against the moonlight. The air was filled with the sounds of holocrafts flowing through the night ski and soft hums of the vehicles breaking the silence. From the city streets, the sound of laughter and music flowed up. It was like the war had never started. That life was peaceful and perfect. And she wanted that moment to last forever. 

 But she found herself sliding back into her nightmares. The darkness , the evil and the death that they brought, reminding her of a past that she couldn't leave behind. The past that no matter what she did, continued to plague her. She wanted to stop thinking, stop drowning herself in her past failures, her past mistakes. But the harder she tried, the easier the thoughts came back. She pulled her rode around her, tight, as the cold breeze sent shivers up her spine. The night gown was now wet with a cold sweat but she knew that she was not going back to sleep. 

"Vylia?" She jumped, spinning around.  The figure from her bed was standing in the balcony doorway. It was leaning against the door frame, running their fingers through their hair. 

"V, it's 3am in the morning, what are you doing out there?" The figure stepped out of the shadows and leaned on the balcony railing, wiping the sleep from their eyes. 

"Nothing, Caranin. I'm not doing anything." He took off his long shirt and wrapped it around her pale, shivering body. He then gently grabbed her by the arms and forced her in look into his eyes. Those blue, shining eyes. Those eyes that had seen every part of her, seen her in her weakness and seen her in her strength. The eyes that belonged to the man she loved. The man that would die to save her. 

"V, I can't help you if you don't talk to me." His voice shook with concern and fear. 

"It's nothing." She replied, her voice heavy with sleep. 

"But it's not nothing. I can see it in your eyes." He gently pulled her close, wrapping his warm strong arms around her.  She rested her head on his bare chest, closing her eyes to hear his heart beat. The steady sound of his breathing and warmth from his skin. She wrapped her arms around him, holding on tightly. She did not want to let go. Caranin made her feel safe, the feeling of home, the feeling of love. He kissed her forehead and gently rested his chin on the top of her head. 

"I know." She whispered back into his chest. He sighed heavily, knowing that Vylia was not going to say anything more on the matter.  There was nothing he could do and he felt helpless. He could fight any man to save her but he could not save her from her mind. Too many emotions and feelings. And nothing he could do. He clung to her, holding her, just in case.