Chapter Five

A shadowy mass stepped into ThunderClan. He surveyed the camp, and snorted.

"Is they all they got? Even humans can do better than this."

"Who are you!" a voice sounded. The mass whirled around, and saw the leader of ThunderClan. She hissed. "Are you an intruder?" The mass, which turned out to be a heavily scarred cat, snorted.

"No. I am here to take the cat who ran away with you back." Leafstar's eyes widened in surprise.

"Duststorm? He-" her eyes narrowed suspiciously. "Tell me who you are, and I'll tell you whoever Duststorm is." she said, putting emphasis on her mate's name. Inside, though, her heart was racing. Leafstar silently thanked her parents and ancestors for giving her skillful misleading abilities.

"I am Streak. I am leader of the rouges, and I demand that I take back Duststorm." Leafstar breathed heavily.

"Now I shall tell you my only information." she hissed. "I do not know of any Duststorm here, unless you count the one that ran off in the opposite direction when he came here. Coward." she added, silently thinking that she'd never forgive herself.

"You are lying. I smell his scent." another voice growled.

"His smell remains stale." Leafstar said calmly, silently sweating.

"It is fresh." another voice hissed. "I smell him on these wasteful grounds."

"Who else is there?" Leafstar raised her voice boldly, with extreme effort not to shake it.

"I am Streak, as you know. I have brought with me Talon, Rapid, Ember, Slash, Hawk, and Shard." Leafstar hissed.

"Duststorm ran away in the opposite direction." she persisted. "He may be sneaking around camp, I do not know." The other cats hissed.

"Lies!" one howled. To her horror, Duststorm stumbled blearily out of the warriors den.

"Is something wrong?" he mumbled. His eyes widened with horror. "No!" he screeched. His eyes darted around wildly. "I won't go back!" Streak laughed.

"The fool has given himself up to us already," he sneered. The rogues lined up beside him, teeth bared and claws ready. Leafstar stayed calm.

"I give you one more chance to surrender." Streak snorted.

"You and what cats?"

Brightdawn emerged from the warriors den, all the cats freshly roused.

"This one," she answered. The cats were even. The rogue group was large, as Streak had neglected to mention the scores of other cats hiding in the bushes, as their scent was new, unfamiliar, and hard to distinguish between the seven present cats. But the Clan numbered just as many, and they faced off, snarling. Finally, Leafstar's tail shot up straight and proud like a banner.

"ThunderClan, attack!" The Clan cats leaped onto the rogues, and although the Clan cats were skilled, fast, and swift, the rogues were all large, and bulky, making them hard to knock over. Rushkit and Wolfkit stood in front of Rainkit and Cherrykit, whose eyes were wide with horror and fear. Brightdawn stood protectively in front of the kits, unwilling to lose any more of her family. Leafstar watched proudly, and stopped as she noticed Streak grab ahold of Duststorm. Her eyes widened, and she leaped through the mass of fur and muscle, shoving even her own cats aside, and bowled into Streak. They wrestled on the ground, tumbling over each other, every cat darting out of the way. Streak gained the upper hand with his size, and rolled over, squashing all the breath out of her lungs. Fear coursed through her, and she started to panic until Brightdawn's voice howled,

"Enough!" Leafstar, Streak, and all the cats froze for a split heartbeat, and she wondered what on earth Brightdawn had in mind. She swept three very scared kits forward with her tail. Rainkit, Cherrykit, and Rushkit.

"I lost my mate, one of my kits, and my father. These kits will not lose their father, and my sister will not lose her mate." Wolfkit stepped forward, her frame small against Streak's large body. Her eyes seemed to pierce into the cats behind him. They looked uncertain, and one of them muttered,

"Why do we even need Duststorm anyways?" Streak yowled after the fleeing cats, until he was outnumbered, and fled with them.