Prologue

"Leafstar! I seek a meeting with you!" Duststorm called. Leafstar padded out her den.

"Yes? Is there something you need?" Duststorm coughed, a little embarrassed.

"Meet at your den tonight." He recited. Leafstar snorted.

"I'm always in my den, you mouse-brain. I have to sleep in there!" Duststorm nodded mutely. Leafstar smiled and went back to her den.

Nighttime

Leafstar rolled in her moss bed, waiting for Duststorm. "How long is it going to take?" she wondered. "It's already well past night." Just as she started giving up and snuggled in her bed, a voice sounded.

"I'm sorry I was late! I had to take care of something."

"Duststorm!" Leafstar yelped. "Don't scare me next time. I thought you were a Dark Forest warrior!"

"Sorry." Duststorm coughed. "I... Leafstar, I know I don't deserve to gain your respect, but you have no idea how much I care for you. If you would even think about it... do you think we could be mates?" he flushed and stuttered, but Leafstar suddenly purred.

"Of course! You saved my life back there. I would be as dead as rat meat if it weren't for you." He looked so happy that Leafstar added,

"And stop looking so proud of yourself and do something useful." He looked embarrassed, but they slept together in the same nest that night.