2

"Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts

"Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts."

Maxwell glanced across the table at Hermione, the girl nodding as if to tell him to listen to Dumbledore.

"Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become to befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I am pleased to welcome Professor R.J Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor."

Everyone applauded as the man stood from where he sat beside Professor Snape, Lupin finding Max's eyes and nodding his way.

"Of course," Hermione smiled. "That's why he knew to give you the chocolate, Harry."

"Potter."

"Oh Merlin," Maxwell sighed at the voice.

"Potter." The four looked to the Slytherin table, Draco looking at Harry with a grin. "Is it true you fainted? I mean," he chuckled, "you actually fainted?"

"Shove off, Malfoy." Ron glared as he pushed Harry to turn his back on the boy.

"Nice to see you've finally taken the cement out of your hair, Draco." Max smiled calmly as the pureblood sent him a glare.

"How did he find out?" Harry whispered to the three.

"Just forget it."

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own, Rubeus Hagrid."

The four Gryffindors shared wide smiles, a laugh falling past Max's lips as they began to cheer.

"That's brilliant."

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic. Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is captured."

Hushed whispered filled the Great Hall, wide eyed students looking to each other in fear.

"The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disturb our day-to-day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way."

"Well, that's a wonderful thing to tell a bunch of children, isn't it?" Hermione elbowed Max roughly, rolling her eyes as she did so.

"Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving."

A silence loomed over the students, Max catching Draco's eyes from where the boy sat. The Malfoy boy rose an eyebrow in a silent question, Max shrugging in response.

"But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times. If only one remembers, to turn on the light."

"That seemed unnecessarily dark." Max led his friends up the stairs, the high pitched singing of the Fat Lady echoing throughout.

"No kidding," Ron agreed as they reached the top of the staircase.

"Forget the password again, Seamus?"

"Sod off. Listen, she just won't let me in." The boy stepped aside to let Harry through.

"Fortuna Major."

"No, no. Wait, watch this." The painting held a hand out to the Gryffindors, loudly shrieking at the glass in her hand.

Max and Harry covered their ears, looking to each other with pained expressions.

"Amazing," she held up the now broken glass. "With just my voice."

"Fortuna Major," Harry repeated.

"Yes, all right," the woman sighed as the door opened. "Go in."

"Thank you."

"She's still doing that after three years," Seamus huffed.

"She can't even sing," Harry shook his head.

"Exactly."

Maxwell pushed past the boys, hurrying up to his suitcase and pulling off his robes. Leaving him in his jumper and jeans, along with his tie.

"Where are you going?" Harry asked him.

"Just for a walk, it's good to be back." Maxwell gave a reassuring smile as he went.

The Prince boy always found comfort in the walls of Hogwarts, the soft echoing of his steps bouncing off the walls.

He grinned as he came to a stop, knocking on the wooden door.

"Come in."

Max pushed open the door, smiling at his godfather as he entered the classroom.

"Professor."

"Maxwell." Remus smiled, amused with the boy as he sat on one of the tables. "How can I help you?"

"Are you going to be teaching us the Patronus charm?"

"You already know the charm, Max. I should know, I taught you. Your Patronus is a," Remus hummed curiously as he continued to put things in order. "Remind me?"

"A fox, just like my father's."

Remus smiled, nodding his head.

"Yes, I remember now."

In all honesty, Remus remembered Magnus' Patronus vividly, but he knew how much Max loved talking about his father.

"Your father's animagus was a fox as well."

Max smiled softly, playing with a loose thread on his jumper.

"What was my father like? I know you've told me," he sighed quietly, "but I'd like to hear it again."

Remus gave a sad smile, moving to sit beside the boy on the table.

"Your father was always lying himself out of trouble. He was very smart, but still needed me to help him cheat in Potions. He was a lot like you." Remus pulled Max under his arm, hugging him close. "He was my best friend."

"He was very lucky then."

Remus laughed at that, shaking his head warmly.

"He would be very proud of you, but if he were here right now he would tell you to get to bed."

Max chuckled as Remus shoved him off the table, pointing towards the door.

"Lupin?" The Professor hummed. "Do you think-" Max paused, taking a deep breath as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "Do you think Sirius really did that to my father?"

Remus pursed his lips, looking at the boy with a clouded expression.

"The years before your father's death have become fairly blurry to me," his voice was quiet. "But I don't think Sirius had the heart to ever cause harm to Magnus."

Max nodded, moving toward the door.

"Goodnight, Max."

"Goodnight, Professor."