Chapter 22

It's the golden boy's 22nd birthday. The charming co-ruler of Florence celebrates his birthday along with the whole city. Everyone is thrilled to witness the sport.

Looking around, I see almost a lot of women watching the game ahead. Women of this era only ever get to go outside during festivals or in the games and they always make sure they give a lasting impression.

All of them are wearing such great dresses and have prepared their hair elaborately. Sitting next to Aunt Simona and Semiramide, I quietly search for my friends. When I couldn't find them, I decided to focus on the tournament.

The majority of the participants are from noble families. I didn't realize how magnificent these men would look in armour while on horseback with a lance.

The audience cheers on their preferred participant. After a while, Giuliano was up next. His helmet is still open as he looks for someone in the audience. When he sees me, he smiles and waves at me before securing it on his face for protection.

I suddenly felt scared to watch. I know he's quite good at the sport but I still worry about the things that might happen that could cause him to be hurt.

As they begin, he rides steadily and aims his lance at the opponent's chest. As they meet halfway, Giuliano successfully hits the opponent and wins the round. As he goes back, he stops by in front of me and bows before heading back to the other side.

The gesture has earned me attention from the crowd, especially the women.

Semiramide gasps and whispers in my ear. "I wasn't aware that a Medici fancies you, Antonia."

I only smiled in response. When it's Lorenzo's turn, Botticelli suddenly came into view. "Hi, forgive me but can you come with me?"

Looking over at my Aunt Simona for permission, she nodded then I gracefully stood up and walk towards Botticelli. He then leads me away from the crowd. When everyone is out of earshot, he looks me in the eyes with enthusiasm. "I finally remembered your key."

My heart suddenly beats harder in my chest in anticipation. "What is it then?"

"Constantine made a key specifically for one particular place he left all his belongings he did not want to bring back in his time. He said he will be passing it down to you."

"Do you know where this place is?"

"He left markings on the key as a hint."

I immediately fish out the key from my pocket and inspect the key. Suddenly I saw the words in modern English inscribe on the shaft. S. Tomb. The realization hits me. "It's in her tomb."

"Whose tomb?"

I look up at him and said, "Simonetta's tomb."

I immediately walk towards the Church of Ognissanti when Botticelli runs to catch up with me. "How was he able to place it in her tomb? She was not dead when he left."

"Yes, but he knew that the Church of Ognissanti is where the Vespucci will likely be buried in. After all, it is the Vespucci chapel."

As we enter the church, I look for anything opening or door of any kind that will lead me to where my father kept the gift for me. My mother's tomb however is sealed shut on the floor with no openings whatsoever. Sighing in frustration, I dropped to my knees and said, "It's impossible. There's nothing in here."

Suddenly, something moved. When I look behind me, it's Botticelli lifting a secret stone door from the ground. "Something is here." I stood up and walk closer to him. The door was situated by the foot of her tomb.

The inscription meant something else. Looking up at Botticelli, I wonder if he knew what this will be for his future.

The door revealed a door with a brass knob. I fish out my key and try to unlock it. As I twist it, I heard a clicking sound, unlocking the door. I open it to reveal a dark room. We carefully walk down the stairs that lead to a room.