Chapter 21

"In the name of the golden boy, let there be a jousting tournament!" Leonardo said, emphasizing the jousting tournament.

Botticelli and I laugh at Da Vinci's exaggeratedly deeper voice, emphasizing his words as if they were the voice of a dictator. "They set up rather quickly," Botticelli said as we look at the people preparing for the jousting tournament for Giuliano's birthday.

"Will anyone be able to play as well?" I ask, still looking at the empty plaza now filled with decoration and equipment for the tournament.

"So long as you can withstand such a blow on horseback, you can participate. You must acquire the necessities first including horse, armour, and such. However, not a lot of common people could afford those." Botticelli explained.

Nodding in understanding, I switch my gaze between the two. Leonardo did a double-take then shakes his head vehemently. "You honestly think we would be fit enough to participate?" He said then laughs.

I shrug my shoulders and then spoke. "Why not?"

Leonardo only laughs in response. "It's nice of you to think we're able to participate but sadly, our talents are limited within the confines of arts," Botticelli interjected.

"If we were to participate, it wouldn't be to joust but to supply banners for the participants like little barrel did last year for the golden boy," Leonardo added as he taps Botticelli's arms playfully.

The statement made me silent. I forgot that Giuliano won the jousting tournament and nominated her as the Queen of Beauty and the banner he used was Botticelli's work.

It suddenly dawns on me that no matter how much I wanted to disassociate the two of them from their previous feelings for my mother, it cannot be. It was the very thing that leads them to me.

When I got home, I was busy reading more of the manuscript of Dio Cassius when Franzia came inside my room. "Antonia, your Aunt is asking for your presence in the parlour." She said with a smile.

"Alright, thank you. I'll be downstairs." I replied as I stood up and leave the manuscript by my table. As soon as I enter the parlour, another woman was sitting next to my Aunt as they chat. When Aunt Simona notices my presence she gestures for me to walk closer to them. Standing in front of them, I realize that the woman is just a girl. "Antonia, I like you to meet Semiramide. She's Simonetta's niece."

Her big brown eyes glance at me as she stood up and bowed gracefully. I bowed in return. "It's a pleasure to meet you." She said.

Her dark blonde hair was neatly arranged ornately. Her bright blue gamurra tells me she's also of noble birth. "Pleasure's all mine, Semiramide."

"She'll be staying with us for a while. Her parents wish for her to have a husband from Florence." Aunt Simona said nonchalantly.

"Husband?" I exclaimed. "Don't you think it's a bit early to find her a match?"

"Antonia, she's already 9 years old. It's best to find great matches for her in the early stages. It's the only way to secure her future."

I wanted to argue the absurdity of the situation but then I remember that this isn't my time. At a very young age, women are always looking for suitable matches to secure their futures.

As soon as they did, they will wait for the ripe age of marriage and be wed immediately. "Are you not wed, Antonia?" The young girl asks, as she gracefully sits on the settee.

I sat down myself, surprised by the question she directed my way. "I was, but not anymore," I responded, instinctively rubbing my left ring finger where my wedding ring once been.