Chapter Forty-Four

hi 

i have a lot of chapters of this story written already but each chapter is different scenes from the future of the book so i have to write chapters to connect to those chapters.

that is why it takes 1523643546 years to update bc i write chapters that are towards the end of the book when i should be writing chapters for the current moment 

ty for being patient with me

Chapter Forty-Four 

I feel sick. In fact, the moment my mother's eyes landed on me, I pulled myself out of Inanis's grasp, and hid myself in the crowds. I attempted to look for my father, but I couldn't find him, the place was so big and there were so many people. If I was going to have to speak to my mother, it would be a lot easier to do it when my father was there to defend me. 

I sift my way through the mass of people, searching for him, but it is as if he vanished. Deciding that I can easily take on the most famous killer in America, but not my own mother, I brand myself a coward, and head towards the exit. I know that Inanis would give me shit once he finds out that I'm leaving during an important event, but also, I don't care. It will only be for a few moments. I needed to catch my breath, and my dignity.

"You look exacerbated. Everything alright?" A voice speaks behind me, and it takes everything I have to force myself to look back when the exit is only feet away.

Elias Parity and his wife are staring at me. I blink at the both of them, not used to speaking to such famous people with Inanis doing all the talking. "I need air." I say bluntly, and a spark flickers in Elias's eyes.

"Did the party not only just begin?"

"Fuck the party."

"Classily put." He says but with his wife's arm intwined with his own, he beckons to the door, "Shall we leave together? I admit, the last time I met a harvester, I was only seven years old."

The previous bone cutter. Atherton Halis, didn't have the celebrity status like Virtus Lux, or Inanis. He had been a cutter for nearly twenty years before he was unfortunately poisoned by an unknown culprit and Inanis took his place. The harvester, his wife, was a stunning woman, but they say she had the personality of a viper. She is a woman I do not aspire to be.

I admit, I didn't want to leave with the Parity couple. I had not plan to permanently leave at all. They were elegant, and glamorous in all the ways I'm not, but I knew I didn't really have a choice. I'd rather spend the evening with them, then with my mother who I had no doubt would publicly shame me for being a terrible daughter.

"Inanis is going to kill me for leaving." I tell them, as we walk out anyway.

"I've gathered enough about you to know you don't care what your husband thinks."

Partly true. I don't care, but I do care about the fit he will throw when I get back. His constant nagging and complaining will no doubt go on for the next several days. "He's dramatic."

"I wouldn't know anything about that." Scarlett speaks up, but there is a hint of amusement in her tone, which was strange to hear coming from a woman who looked so frugal.

We exit the party and I'm able to breathe in the large hallway of the building. Elias guides me to the front door, and as people are still walking into the party, they stop and stare at the three of us, who don't dare look them in the eyes. Inanis always told me to pretend not to see the people watching you, and so that is what I'm doing. I keep my eyes ahead, and as some police officers walk us out of the white house to a vehicle, I don't think twice about getting in. I didn't plan on leaving the building, I only meant to leave the ball room. Inanis really is going to kill me, especially because he has no idea where I am. I don't even know where I'm going, I'm putting all my trust in a man who wears gold dust like fashion glitter.