Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

"You're supposed to stab him."

"Inanis shut up." 

"I will if you'd just stab him."

"I don't want to fucking stab him."

"Then he will stab you and it'd be your fault."

"Oh my god."

Inanis had woken me up at five in the morning and forced me to tag along with him to his training session. Though he was pretty good with a knife, that didn't stop him from practicing any chance he got.

I was stupid enough to let him bring me here, and now I'm the one with the knife in my hand, and a trainer who keeps attacking me until I'm winded on the ground.

"I don't want to do this anymore." I say, wiping the sweat off my forehead.

Inanis was sitting on a pile of folded gym mats, his legs crossed as he watched in amusement. I'm sure this was making his day, and I wanted to stab him for it. "Maybe if you'd use the weapon I gave you, you wouldn't fail so awkwardly."

"Maybe you should get your ass over here and let me try it out on you." I didn't mean it, because the last thing I wanted was to lose to him, yet he took my false bait as though it were a delicious treat.

He hopped off the mats and glided over to the ring where he dismissed the trainer with a clasp on his shoulder.

My chest filled with dread as Inanis twirled a polished knife in his hand. "Alright." He said, "Let all that wicked desire you have for me out."

"You're as stupid as you look if you mistake my hatred for desire." I was stalling, I did not want to attack him. He would win, of course he would win, he's trained like this all his life.

He held his arms out, "Come on then, show me your hatred."

I was still, "I don't see the point in this."

"Try it."

"I'd rather be weak and awkward."

"Just. Try."

My shoulders slumped, "This is so fucking-"

"Mirea, Jesus, just run at me." And so I did. I ran to him and attempted to stab him in the neck, but he grabbed both my arms almost instantly, and spun me around until my back faced him. He used his foot to kick my legs out resulting in both my knees hitting the ground. He held my arms behind me, making me drop the knife I was holding to the floor.

"That was brilliantly pathetic," He said over my shoulder, "I'm almost humiliated I'm married to you."

"Let go of me." I try to wriggle out of his grasp, but the harder I try, the tighter his grip becomes.

"You should try again except this time, actually try."

He releases me and I quickly stand back up to recover the slightest bit of my pride. "I'm not doing that again."

"Oh come on," He taunted, "Don't ruin the fun."

"This isn't fun."

"It is for me."

I picked up the knife I had dropped and gripped the handle until my knuckles bled white. "I'm done."

He frowns, "Once more."

"No." I begin to walk back to the pile of mats where I sat comfortably most of the morning.

"Once more and I'll take you home." That stops me. I turn to him.