Chapter 40: Small talks

Dedicated to VivianOgah

The second semester exams has begun, Isere made sure to be away from Kelvin to study hard.  Having his close was a distraction to her, one she discovered along the way.

As much as she hated how she got attached, she couldn't deny how the boy had come to be a big distraction in her life. She admired how he was able to stay focus even with everything and she wished it was the same for her.

Most times while she slept over at his place, he'd wake up in the middle of the night to read. An habit she learnt from him.

She turned to another page of her textbook with sleepy eyes, she was exhausted already.

She has been up for four hours, trying to understand and explain better to herself. She took her phone to check the time, she realised the time was past four in the morning, she closed her textbook then fell asleep.

Isere and Ejiro went to a nearby canteen as soon as they were through with their exam. While entering the canteen, they can across TJ and Morgan. She has been avoiding after the little misunderstanding she had with Kelvin.

"Hi," Tj greeted her as soon as he saw her. He has been chatting her for weeks but she replied none of his messages neither did she read them. He called her line but it was always busy.

Whenever she saw him coming, she'd run away which he noticed and he wondered why. But here she was in front of him, he was surely going to ask her what he did wrong.

"Katherine," Morgan called Isere with a smile on her face. Her eyes not looking at the direction of Ejiro as they were both cat and dog who despised one another presence.

"What's up Morgan," Isere greeted. She forced a smile unto her face then greeted Tj. She felt guilty for treating him the way she was now.

She didn't know why she blamed him but she knew she had no right after all she had the choice to choose what she'd believe.

"Did you come to get food?" Tj asked Isere.

What did we come to do in a canteen if not get food?! Ejiro mocked within her. Ejiro wondered why people asked stupid questions almost all the time.

Ejiro wondered why Isere was friends with people like them who obviously were people who'd get one into trouble and run away.

"Yes, we came to get food," she replied. She was looking for ways to get out of this conversation before it got longer.

Ejiro noticed how uncomfortable Isere was and so she intervened. "Issy, please let's go, I'm hungry!" She complained pulling Isere by her hand with her.

"I will...talk to you guys later," Isere said following Ejiro.

Morgan hissed, the way and manner she hated Ejiro would actually make her kill Ejiro for real one day. She just hated how Ejiro seemed to act like she knew when she wasn't truely experienced.

"What's wrong with the both of you?" Morgan asked Tj.

"I don't know, she suddenly started spacing out," Tj said.

As soon as Isere and Ejiro settled down with their food, Ejiro began to question Isere.

"What happened? You are seriously not speaking to TJ?"

Isere put a spoonful of food in her mouth, "I feel bad you know. He just gave his honest opinion as a friend and I blamed him for my irrationality," Isere explained.

Ejiro hissed, "You don't know what your problem is."

"What do you say about it? Do you think it's bad of me to avoid him?" Isere asked her.

"Being friends with people isn't bad, I tell you. In a situation like yours, I can't really say much, do what you deem fit," Ejiro advised.

"If only I know about it. I'm going back home and that thought only is annoying considering I would be staying longer unlike the break for Christmas," Isere sighed.

"Whether you like it or not, that's your house, they are your parents too. You will survive as you've been surviving for the past nineteen years," Ejiro said.

Isere hissed, "You are not helping at all! I miss Segun," she muttered.

Ejiro shook her head, "Wahala for who no get boyfriend o!" She whined and Isere chuckled.

"Ejiro, let me ask you a very serious question, Are you really dating Hassan?" She asked.

"Yes," Ejiro replied.

"What?!" Isere shouted and almost choked herself.

"Kill yourself o, I don't know what is new there," Ejiro spat out.

"Aren't you still with your former boyfriend?" She asked her.

"Yes, we are together," Ejiro replied and Isere almost fainted.

"Are you sick or what? You are dating two guys at a time?" Isere asked with confusion on her facial expression.

She wondered why Ejiro was suddenly double dating, something she wasn't really fond of.

"My dear, do I know what he is doing now wherever he is? He probably might have a girlfriend there and so why should I focus all of my energy on him?" Ejiro asked.

Isere shook her head in disappointment. She never expected Ejiro to be this way, "Here I was looking up to you. Might  is the keyword Ejiro. He might but you don't know. And besides what if you are wrong, do you know the damage you could cause?" Isere asked her.

"Double dating won't only just hurt you when it backfires, it would hurt everyone involved. Hassan literally adores you and your boyfriend who I don't really know much about cares so much about you although I'm not sure but in the end, you'd be hurt, Hassan will and so will everyone," Isere lamented.

She had never been disappointed in Ejiro before. "Does Hassan know you have a boyfriend? He doesn't and do you know the consequences that could follow it all? You will loose on both side and end up being alone."

"Stop with all of this preaching. You don't even know much and yet you are blabbing!" Ejiro spat out.

Isere was caught off guard when she saw the tone Ejiro used on her. She couldn't believe this was the Ejiro she considered a sister.

"Wow! I'm blabbing?" Isere asked.

"You don't even know anything when it comes to relationship and you think I don't know what I am doing? Spare me the talk Isere because you know nothing," Ejiro said.

Isere twitched her eyes, where the the Ejiro she know? This definitely couldn't be Ejiro, Ejiro wasn't stupid to spit out stupid words.

Why were they friends if she couldn't speak to her? Isere thought.

"The last time I checked, we were friends so if I don't speak to you, who would?" Isere asked her.

Ejiro began to feel guilty to being rude to Isere but the deed was done. Isere didn't understand her and there was no way she'd be able to explain to her.

"I'm going, it seems you don't know anything yet about life. Don't put your hopes high, you'd only be shattered when it doesn't go as planned," Ejiro said standing up to her feet, leaving Isere in the canteen alone.

Isere watched the retreating steps of Ejiro and she wondered how the situation got worse.

It seems Ejiro and Isere just had their first misunderstanding as friends oo.

Who expected Ejiro to turn out this way?

Do you think, there is a reason for her reaction?

Vote, comment and share