● 1 ○

I suppose
I love my scars
Because
They have
Stayed with me
Longer
Than most people
Have.

-Nikita Gill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter one
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rubbed my other palm smoothly, staring hardly at the mark that was imprinted on me not long ago. It was a black diamond-shaped star. It oozed out a feeling of dark magic. It made my hand feel heavy as if it was bound with shackles. I squeezed my fist tightly before turning my attention back to what was currently happening.

We were being graded.

It seems that a higher grade increases the possibility of having a powerful owner. Each one of the women aligned either shined with beauty or overflowed with presence. If you've got none, then you better put down any expectations of having a high grade at all.

That's exactly what I'm aiming for.

Having a powerful owner obviously screamed danger. Imagine the things they're capable of. How else will i run away from them? Even if i did, where would i go? I didn't sacrifice myself for my family. Rather, I got offered by my family.

"Vassal no. 268," A man casually called out, skimming through the pages. After a whiff of silence, He lifted his head up. I was a little stunned at his pointy pupils that stared sharply at us. It was the first time i saw a demon's face. The traders here always cover up their whole faces. It was intimidating, but i had to snap out of it. I'm going to be offered to one anyway.

Mere hushed whispers filled in. "Y-yes, Sir!" The girl managed to answer back, stuttering after being shaken by the girl behind her which made her got out from whatever deep thought she was in. The man's gaze fell towards her and her eyes began quivering, her fingers trembling.

The man scoffed, rolling his eyes. "D grade. Get that thing off of my sight this instant." I caught a glimpse of a few wincing at the tone the man had used. What more could they expect from a man who's not even a human? He most likely sees us the same way as that girl, nothing but filth.

I slightly sneered at the thought. He sees us as filth, the ones being offered to their pure bloods. Doesn't that make their lords garbage?

"Vassal no. 269,"

My ears perk up as i hear my code name. I calmly took a step forward. "I'm pleased to meet your acquaintance, sire." I firmly replied.

His eyebrow lit up. Was it too formal? "It says here you're a..... peasant?" Oh. Of course. All women here are from noble families. They prefer their vassals to be classy and elegant while having exquisite beauty after all. Most importantly, it means having a higher class blood to them. Such bullshit. Where will you get such perfect people nowadays? He scorned, looking intently at the piece of paper while calling out to one of his men. "Where did you get this one?" One of his men replied back in a whisper at the same time murmurs began circulating me, their eyes boring at the back of my head. I watched him rub his temple as if he was having an headache.

"How am i even supposed to grade you?" He said, looking exasperated. You write a letter down, obviously. He sighed deeply. "Oh, Whatever. D-grade."