Part two: The revelation

When he got home, Jay called Katerina and told her about his strange day in Poughkeepsie and the man on the train.

"Maybe it was your guardian angel," Katerina suggested, half-mocking him.

Jay was silent for a moment, thinking about this. Could it be...?

"Jay, are you still there?"

"Yes, sorry. It was just a very odd encounter."

"Do you want to get dinner tonight?"

Jay felt very tired. "Thanks, but I feel like staying in. Goodnight."

"Get some rest," Katerina said.

Jay hung up and turned on the television, looking for something to watch. A documentary attracted his attention. It was called "The Number 8 and its Significance."

"In many churches, the stars have eight points, because eight means infinity," said the narrator. There was panning shot of several decorative stars on church walls.

Jay remembered the eight dollars he'd given as an offering in the church, and how the lights had flickered. Maybe it wasn't a coincidence.

At seven o'clock in the morning Jay was already up, drinking a cup of tea and watching the morning news. Afterward, he went to work on Heather's site. That made him think about Heather, and their kiss. He wasn't bothered at all by their age difference. She was very attractive and she smelled like lilies.

Maybe I'll invite her to dinner, he thought.

Just then, his phone rang. He answered, wondering if it might be Heather, but it was Katerina.

"Would you like to get lunch?" she asked.

"Lunch? What time is it?"

"It's noon. What are you doing?"

"Working. Time flies."

They agreed to meet for lunch at a place near Madison Square Park. He finished up the work he was doing and left, walking briskly in the sun.

"Have you met any preachers today?" Katerina asked when they met outside the restaurant.

"Yes, two this morning. Seems I have a magnet for these things," said Jay.

Katerina laughed. "What was the title of his book again?"

"Lord Warwick: We Are Not Alone."

"I'll look it up," said Katerina, taking out her phone. "Here we go. Weird, there's only one copy available, in a used books store on Staten Island."

"Maybe we should go there," said Jay.

"Okay, but lunch first."

They bought some ice cream and snacks and sat in the park. Squirrels approached them, curious.

"So tell me about this woman, Heather ," Katerina said.

That reminded him. He gave Katerina the box containing the shoes from Heather. "By the way, this is for you."

"Cavalli sandals, my favorite brand!" said Katerina, enthusiastic. "I'll try them on now."

She put them on and stood up, posing for Jay. "You look great," he said.

Katerina gave him a kiss on the lips. "Thank you for the gift."

"I'll tell Heather you like them."

Katerina sat back down and continued to eat her ice cream. "So, tell me about her."

"She was nice. I mean, at first she was really upset because her boyfriend had left her. But he was a jerk to her. I felt bad; she's such a sweet, charming, elegant woman."