Twenty-eight

Chapter twenty-eight:
"Goodbye and good luck, [Y/N]"

Chapter twenty-eight:"Goodbye and good luck, [Y/N]"

[☁]

Morning. It had been a year of training with Muichiro, and now, that night, was the Final Selection.

Winter day's morning, clouds were high up covering the sun. You made sure to wake up somewhat early and have the biggest breakfast possible, since your master had woken up earlier than you and made your favorite foods. When you two sat down to eat, he kept staring at the plate but didn't take a bite. You figured that he wasn't hungry, but it still made you worry.

Muichiro was always quiet. He began speaking more as the months with you passed, but he remained being a boy of few words. That's why you wouldn't question his silence or lack of eating at that moment, he would eat strawberries later at noon.

But, just in case, you told Shinobu to check on him twice that week to make sure he's fine. You just needed reassurance that he wouldn't be alone in that long time.

When you finished your food, you went towards the mist estate's entrance, being closely followed by Muichiro. You adjusted your clothes, taking in a deep breath of the mint and fresh basil fragrance before showing a huge smile to him.

"I'm going now, master"

You adjusted your sword on your hip, securing it. You had put on the light blue fluffy hakama pants and white kosode that Shinobu had given you as a gift, and although you felt a bit sad that it'd get a bit dirty during the selection, you felt comfortable and ready to slay as many demons as possible. Your hair was tied in a high ponytail with a white ribbon instead of being loose as usual, it'd be easier to fight that way.

Muichiro simply nodded, his eyes as empty as ever.

"Yes. Goodbye."

And with that, making sure his face engraved on your memories to last not only the week of the selection, but also a lifetime, you turned on your sandals to run towards the Fujikasane Mountain, considering that it was eight hours away if you took breaks.

When you were far enough for your back to be just a blur, Muichiro, standing on the door frame as if his feet were glued, muttered under his breath, "Please come back safe, [Y/N]"

『 °*• ❈ •*°』

The bright violet wisteria flowers gently tickled your nose as a smile bloomed on your face. Following the the stairs up the mountain's peak, hopping on each step, you cheered when both of your legs landed gracefully on the last one, revealing the adorned place in which at least a dozen people stood. Swallowing your nerves, you back away towards a corner, examining the people around you.