Behind The Veils

I couldn't believe we had done it. My best friend and I had actually fooled the guards and hid inside the theme park after it closed.

The sky above the dilapidated theme park was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. I could see the black outline of the hazardous roller coaster above me, parts of it obscured by the fog. Dark ash was scattered across the broken tiles, and vines creep up the walls, finding refuge in the cracks of mortar. It was quiet, almost too quiet, but I could hear creaking from the ancient Ferris wheel as it slowly turned on its repetitive path. I could see the silhouettes of trees swaying eerily in the distance, their outlines slightly blurred, giving off a sinister atmosphere.

The temperature seemed to drop, sending chills up my spine. I could smell smoke, it hung suspended in the air above me, leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. The ghosts of children's screams haunted the abandoned theme park. The scene was unearthly, surreal, I felt like I was in another world entirely. This place had laid unsafe for years.

The weather was drab and bleak, which just made the atmosphere more unnerving. I felt like I was disrupting the theme park's peaceful sleep, and it would soon awaken. Decaying cobwebs were strung between beams, neglected by the spiders. I could see fog hovering in the air above my head; only a glowing sphere of the moon was visible through the clouds. The moon hid behind it, trying and failing to breakthrough.

Torn bunting was strung in the air above me, their colors now dull, flags fluttering slightly in the breeze.

An elaborate merry-go-round sat in the center of the park, its once bright colors painted over with dust. I could hear the echoes of cheerful music that no longer played. I could see the theme park reassemble itself in my mind, all the vibrant colors coming back to life.

Holding Jonathan's hand with one and the camera, ready for the shoot with the other, I headed down the broken path which once was the running course for fitness freaks. I felt at peace with Jonathan by my side. We were going to hit the news!

"Hey! Can you hear something?" His whispered voice startled me. I breathed loudly then denied. "Listen carefully, I can hear something."

'Oh come on! Johnny, I am petrified enough. I can't he...' I stopped as I heard a loud bang! like someone slammed a hard metal door.

We looked at each other in the eyes, nodded, and followed the noise. I loved the way we could know what was going on in each of our minds!

As we came closer, I could hear the cries that Johnny was referring to. We walked past the old wilted trees, the Ferris wheel, the photo booth, and probably the last swing present in the west wing of The Six Flags.

"You have your camera on yeah?" I looked down at it and nodded.Pointing my camera in the direction of the target, I clicked on the "Rec." button and started my commentary.

'Hello everyone! Johnny a... I mean my best friend Jonathan Black and I are standing in the very famously abandoned theme park of New Orleans, The Six Flags. When we arrived we heard someone slamming a metal door. For your information, we are the only ones here! We are now heading towards the noise to discover the hidden secret. This is Kaitlyn Paiz, signing out from Behind The Veils.' I paused the recording and kept my index finger on the resume button, in order to record any subtle actions.

"I guess we are here!" Jonathan pointed towards a collection of large rusty containers. They were so huge that I had to stretch up my neck so high as if exercising to get rid of my not-there-double chin!

I immediately resumed my recording. 'Okay guys we came across these huge containers and I can bet my life on it that these are our suspicious targets. I ...'

I stopped and turned to look at Jonathan. 'What on earth do you think you are doing???' i screamed silently. What the hell is he doing? Don't tell me he wants to become all-heroic right now!

" We have to ace this!"

'Jonathan get back here, cause if we are caught we won't be alive to even hand this to Ezekial!'

He didn't pay heed to any of my words and opened the door to one of the giants. with a turbulent squeak, the door opened wide. My heart started pounding against its cage. He turned on his flashlight and headed inside. I followed him as again I felt at peace around him. I kept on looking behind in utmost fear and bumped straight into Jonathan's, hard as a rock, back. 'What is it? Why did u stop?' I whispered still looking behind.

"Look!" I finally turned my head, stood on my tip-toes, and peeped over his broad shoulders.I was taken back by what my gaze fell upon. There were young girls of all color and race, tied up by their hands behind their backs and had a piece of cloth on their mouths.

I turned my camera towards their pitying eyes, 'So, Human trafficking! This is how the theme park is being used. How many people have already been abused and sold to other places? This has to stop! Kaitlyn and Jonathan signing out from Behind The Veils!' I wiped my tears as I could feel what they were going through! A number of images came in front of my eyes, but I shook them off.

 The sad pain in me turned into horror as we heard the door lock behind us. A strong white light reflected on the aluminium walls of the container, I got up with teary eyes slowly, gulping in a ton of air.

"Well look who found us!" I heard a chuckle, an evil one.