Chapter 19

In the past few weeks, my routine has consisted of reading books, visiting the almost finished Tre Rane and if Giuliano's not busy, he'd spend some time with me. I didn't realize that aside from the two painter's skills in painting, they also have a passion for cooking.

Truth be told, I enjoy my time in Tre Rane more than I care to admit. The two are just playful and amusing when they are together. The eccentricities of Da Vinci complement the serious and soft-spoken nature of Botticelli. Few more weeks and they'll be ready to open.

Time flies so fast recently. The air starts to get colder by the day. When Tre Rane opened, a lot of his friends came in to celebrate and try their artistic menus. Unfortunately, neither Lorenzo nor Giuliano was able to attend the opening as Giuliano is in Milan, while Lorenzo is busy with the bank.

Since I am quite not familiar with the faces in the room, I sat alone by the far end of the table, watching as the event unfolds. In a few moments, Da Vinci emerges with a plate in hand as he walks toward me with a grin on his face. "Chicken pie for the lady." He said as he set it down in front of me.

The pie was exceptionally beautiful and enticing to eat. I smiled proudly at him. "This looks and smells amazing, Da Vinci."

He then sat down on the chair across from me and lean his elbows on the table. "How many times do I have to tell you that you can call me Leonardo?"

I pinched my lips before speaking. "Alright, Leonardo. I see you guys are quite busy." I said, gesturing towards the people eating before taking a bite for myself.

Leonardo simply shrugged. "Yes, well they all are simply curious and probably betting on us closing down immediately."

Laughing a little bit, I shake my head before responding. "I don't believe that. They are here to support you both! Speaking of which, why are you out here?"

"Oh don't worry about little barrel. After all, I did invent a few tools to make cooking faster, and also we hired a few cooks to help us."

"Alright, if you say so," I said, before digging into my pie.

"You know, I notice the way he looks at you." He said all humour disappeared in his tone, surprising me a bit.

"W-what? I didn't notice. We're friends! We're only friends. Besides, he's too busy with painting and now with this inn as well." I said, speaking a lot faster than I intended to, making my cheeks blush.

When I looked up at him, his hand is resting on his chin, thinking hard. "I see, but I didn't mention any names, Antonia." He said, his brows wiggling as he glances at me with a playful look.

"Oh..." Was the only thing I could manage to make Leonardo laugh hard.

"So, you like little barrel." He whispered, leaning closer towards me. "Then why are you spending time with Giuliano?"

Not being able to put the subject off anymore, I decided to be truthful in Leonardo. Despite his idiosyncratic behaviour, I trust him with my life. "I do like Botticelli but he still has some lingering feelings towards someone who resembles me. I didn't want him to see someone else whenever he looks at me." I said, my voice so low, that it almost sounded like a whisper.

"I'm aware that he was deeply attracted to Simonetta but isn't she married anyway? Not to mention dead."

"I've seen sketches of her in his studio and he labelled it his beloved. Even Marco says he's aware of Botticelli's feelings towards his late wife." I said, pouting in the process.

"To be honest, all I hear are excuses. I have never seen him completely enamoured towards anyone other than you."

I know he has a point but I couldn't bring myself to believe it. "I am happy with how we are at the moment, Leonardo. Things are better and neither of us is hurt."