The clerk pretended he didn't notice or didn't care as he continued-on towards Lon, their leader.

The tension dissolved when the sea drover turned his back to hack ever higher up-slope. The trees blocked his view. He just wanted to discover the natural wonder, and see how the falling water made the thunder.

The others watched and lined up behind the lad. There wasn't much they could do to help his personal struggle with the shrubs. The branch-wood here seem fused together in a natural palisade that proved almost impregnable. Lon had never seen trees so tightly knit. In all his timbering he'd never encountered such thick undergrowth. After several minutes of masticating the leafy boscage with his blunt blade and only progressing a few more feet for his trouble, he finally came to a rock wall with an acute overhang that completely blocked their path.

The way forward was still possible, but each of them would have to jump and grab the stone ledge that jutted forward overhead.  From that point, each would have to pull themselves up by their arms. What made it even harder, was that the shelf above was so narrow it'd be difficult for anyone else to help. Lon handed his saber to Clyde and prepared to go first.

The sea drover jumped to show how easily it could be done if you were young and healthy and had enough upper-body strength to raise your own weight. Yesterday morning this same exercise would have been impossible for him with his gangrene shoulder. He remembered how Minister Horne had helped him up the boat ladder. He shivered away that haunting recollection before he knelt and took back his saber. Then he cleared the path for Clyde.

Everyone watched the overweight clerk ready himself for the trial and the young lad gave him an encouraging nod. Could he do it? If he failed here, there'd be no hope for him higher-up on the mountainside.

Lon held his breath. He didn't want to leave Clyde behind. He watched him run and jump and grab the ledge. So far so good, but that was as far as he got.  He grunted and groaned and his legs dangled. He couldn't raise himself. The shapeless scribe struggled and was stuck.

"Help?" Clyde asked. His arm muscles were clearly not strong enough to hoist his bulk and so he needed some assistance. Lon wormed-in close and got a hand on his silk fabric'd shoulder. But then he saw how Tharus and Jarl wouldn't help. They'd stepped back and now watched with wry smiles as the wealthy runaway dangled by his arms.

"Jarl, Tharus. Push on his legs." Lon commanded as he fought the brambles to get even closer so he could hoist Clyde's shoulder. When they still didn't move, he shouted down at them. "You two are the ones holding us up."

"We didn't enlist to help nobles," Jarl growled.

"No?" Lon tamped down his frustration. "But he'd help you. Don't think we're not going need everyone."

The big cat growled.

"Jarl. You told us about Asgul. Your company split-up. Right? If you hadda stayed together..." Lon caught the big cat's eye. "You help him. He'll help you."  

"I always pay my debts," Clyde gripped the ledge.

"Shshh," Lon quieted him least he ruin the persuasive argument he'd just presented. 

The lionfeigor and the lizard turned to regard each other before they reluctantly stepped forward to push.

Lon pulled the noblekin from above and together all three renegade captives raised the runaway Crolean valet up through the brush. Clyde smiled thanks and wisely keep quiet to follow wordlessly behind.

The sea drover was the first to crest the hill and breach the treeline that ringed the shore above. The waterfall's thunder boomed in his ears. Sweat rolled down his cheeks and he gasped at the awesome spectacle laid out before his eyes.