"No. That's a castle along the Rhine River – that's in Germany. And . . . no, Eric didn't . . . adopt me, like that. That's not how it is with us." I fold my hands in my lap and straighten, inclining my head. "It's better. Because he treats me more like a grown-up."

"So you ain't got no mama or daddy?" Coby's finally looking at me, his interest in my room apparently gone. Now it looks like I truly am his main source of entertainment.

"Don't ask that, dummy," Lisa hisses. "It ain't good manners."

"I've never needed parents," I say. I asked Eric once, when I was very little – it might be one of my first memories – if I had a father. He said I didn't, but I had an Eric, and that was better. I've always thought that was probably true. "I have a great life. Eric takes care of me. He buys me lots of stuff I want. And I don't have to go to school."

Coby's jaw drops. "Ever?"

I shake my head. "Not even for a day."

"Wow." Coby glances at his sister. "Wish we got to live with vampires."

I look between the two of them. These kids should be my peers. We should have things in common. We should know the same games, like the same movies, have the same friends, want the same things. But . . . school, and bedtimes, and church, and playgrounds, and afternoon picnics, and mamas and daddies . . . That's just never been my life.

My life . . . My life has been darkness. Blood. Violence. Always thinking before I speak. Vitamin D supplements. Comfort from cold hands. Breakfast at nightfall. Reading old books in empty rooms. Long walks through fields beneath a glowing moon. Swedish lullabies. Lovely dolls in lace dresses. Discussions on philosophy. Music through my walls. Mani-pedis. Late-night diners. First-class flights and fancy cars. Magic. Power. Safety. Trust.

Yes, my life has been darkness. And people find darkness so frightening, because you can't tell when bad things are hiding in the dark. But good things can hide in the dark, too.

"Like I said." I smile, just a little. "I have a great life."

The words are barely out of my mouth when I hear a muffled click from outside my room. Eric's office door. He's in my doorway the next second, sweeping the room with his eyes. "Oh, good. You're all alive."

Mr. Merlotte steps around Eric – but keeps his distance. "Coby, Lisa." He waves the kids out of the room. "C'mon. Time to get you back to Bon Temps."

I rise as Lisa and Coby pass Eric. Coby arches his head as far back as it can possibly go to get the best look at my guardian, and only moves along when his sister yanks him by the arm. I stand beside Eric as Mr. Merlotte says, "You got my cell number if you find anything out."

"I'll let you know if I learn anything of use to you."

Eric then looks down the hallway, to where Pam waits beside the door leading out to the bar. She looks at our guests like they're the first signs of a rat infestation. "Can I throw them out now?" she asks Eric in Swedish. "I hate the little ones. They're so stupid."

I'm not sure I want to hear what Pam would say if I pointed out that I am as little as Coby and Lisa are, so I just say, "I don't think they're stupid."

Lisa and Coby both gasp. "You speak Spanish?" Coby says, eyes wide.

Eric looks to the ceiling, smiling like the gods he doesn't believe in have given him a great gift, as Pam gives me a smirk beyond compare.

I sigh. "Never mind."

"Pam will see you out," Eric says, expertly pulling back his amusement. He winks at Coby and Lisa and says, pleasantly, "Goodnight, tiny humans."