Aigonorous, The Detached Slacker: Story 6

Start from the beginning

"...Yep." He says with a small smile.

I smile back. "You really care about them, don't you?"

"Huh?" My question seems to catch Aigonorous off guard.

I raise an eyebrow. "What? You don't? But you get this gentle, kind look in your eyes when you seem them."

"Oh...I guess." That surprised expression is gone, and his usual, tiresome look returns.

"Hm...." I look around the room. "Didn't you say there are four heralds in here? I'm only seeing three."

Aigonorous bobs his head in a direction up ahead. "Over there... There's another one behind the pillar."

I follow to where Aigonorous says, and that's when I notice the fourth herald. That single herald is quietly looking this way.

I point to it. "Is this one wary of people? That others came running up to you, but this one didn't."

"He's the moodiest one, but itis not just that." Aigonorus says. "His leg has been that way ever since he got hurt."

"He hurt his leg?" Then it dawns on me. "Oh! Is he the one who protected me when that guy from the under realm attacked me?"

"...Yeah." Aigonorous shifts uncomfortable when he answers. "His injury healed, but he's still not standing. He should be able to walk by now though."

"Ah...I see."

That's why Aigonorous wanted to come out today. He wanted to check in on this herald...

I slowly approach the herald. "Hi, little guy. Thanks for before."

"Hey, wait!" Aigonorous calls out.

"Me-eh-eh!"

"Ah-hey!"

As soon as I try to approach the divine beast, he sticks me with his horns, scratching the palm of my hand.

Aigonorous comes up beside me. "You okay? Nashira only likes me." He tries to calm the holy herald, named Nashira.

I shake off the sting of the scratch and try again. "So, your name is Nashira, huh?"

"...You're going to get hurt again." Aigonorous warns.

I can't help but feel bad for Nashira, as it stands there alone, while watching the others play around. I'm sure he feels lonely.

Careful not to make any sudden movements, I kneel down to the herald's eye level, and speak to it softly. I slowly extend my hand to Nashira, laying it flat. "I wanted to properly thank you for saving me before. I'm really sorry you got hurt."

"...Hey, what do you think you're doing, sitting down there?"

"I want him to know I'm not a threat. I want to help him."

"Meh-eh!" Nashira bleats aggressively.

I don't wince at Nashira's actions, and don't look away from his eyes. Noticing the beautiful shine of its coat, and vibrant eyes.

"You don't need to be afraid of me." I kindly say.

"Me-ehh..."

I refuse to give up, and continue to talk to Nashira until the aggression and fear in his eyes are gone. His bleats turn calm and docile.

"...Huh?" Aigonorous observes the situation with wide-eyes.

"Nashira...is it okay for me to pet you?"

"...Meh-eh-eh..."

I smile and slowly reach my hand out to the herald's leg. "Its okay..."

When I touch Nashira's leg, and he doesn't react. I get a better inspection at his leg and, see that Aigonorous was right. The injury that once was there is completely healed.