Fourteen: Summertime Sadness

Start from the beginning

What a peptalk, Mum.

I watched her get back to her teacher duties with Dad, careful not to hit any organized piles of paper and a sleeping Angus on her way there. I'd stay there and argue for a little while longer, but my body just could not afford such a luxury. It couldn't wait to wiggle out of this maple-syrup-smelling cleavage dress, throw my shoes out the window, and propose a life-long marriage with my bed.

"Ye look beautiful tonight, my wee darling."

"Oh?" I almost forgot that I was just at a party. It felt like centuries. "Thanks, Dad." 

To further trap me in a state of confusion, Mum adds, "Tell us all about it in the morning, will you, Merida?"

Do my ears deceive me?

Mum wants to know about the party I've just been to? A party that celebrates the members and the allies of people like us?

I'm fucking exhausted. This better be a dream. I must've passed out on the way home.

I looked at Mum again to see if there were any lingering signs of disgust on her face after her pretentious and surreal statement. But there weren't any. On the contrary, she casted a smile, one that I hadn't seen in a long while.

"Sure?" 

"Can't wait, dear." I have lost it. Everyone's lost it.

Did aliens suddenly come down here, abducted, and replaced my whole family while I was gone?!

No way was this real.

Dad released a fart. Mum slapped him on the thigh.

Okay, this was real.

Mum proceeded to check the mountain of test papers. From all the way, I caught a glimpse of a printed model of the anatomy of the human body surrounded by messily handwritten labels filled in. An idea came up to me at lightning speed. My legs seem to have gotten the idea and started walking me down the stairs towards her.

"Say, Mum?"

"Yes?"

"You know when I asked ye if you could help me draw...?"

✧・゚: - *✧・゚* :・゚- *:・゚✧

S A T U R D A Y

In a blink of an eye, the night had passed.

Mum woke me up extra early. She flew into my room the second it turned 6:30 AM and even made the effort of jumping on my bed just to open the curtains that covered the windows beside it.

"A working adult rises early~!"  I swore I could hear the birds singing along with her as I grumpily tossed and turned.

"How come Jack and Hiccup don't need to..." and I did my best impression of Mum's line in my hoarse morning voice, "...rise early?!" it was okay for someone who just woke up.

It was like school all over again.

"Today's a very big day!" 

"It's just work." I gave up trying to fight with my Mum's efforts to get me out of bed before it escalates further to her having to commit arson for me to do so.