Mei's eyes widened, startled by your tone.
"Himari."

Your jaw dropped.

"Again, that's just what I heard."
Mei reasoned.

Sighing, you shook your head.
"I knew something wasn't right about her, whatever..."

Mei sunk into her seat.

"This isn't your fault Mei. Himari was always acting strange with the twins, I'm honestly not that surprised. Disappointed yes, but I guess it doesn't phase me."
you reassured Mei.

Mei gulped, nodding. She wasn't quite convinced.
"Y'know..." you hesitated. " I didn't tell you about my mom did I?"

Mei turned to look at you, her eyes widening.
She shook her head, straightening her glasses.
You took a deep breath.
"My mom was always fascinated with water. She went fishing all the time, trips to the beach, cruises. Anything she could do to touch the water and feel the waves hit her skin. In her late 20's she became part of a ocean-life rescue team."
you gushed just thinking about it.

Mei had her mouth in an "o" shape.
She looked like she was in awe.

"When I was only 13 years old, my mom went on a very important rescue mission. She studied marine biology and was on a sea animal rescue team. I remember her telling me how important this was." you continued.

"Needless to say, I never saw my mom again. That same day a terrible storm hit the area. The boat my mom's rescue team took went missing, later the shipwreck was found miles away. No trace of the bodies. Divers went trying to look for remains, with no clues at all, my dad has been trying to look for leads for years now. Nothing showed up."
you bit your lip, sorrow filling your thoughts the moment you uttered the last sentence.

"Oh..(y/n) that's terrible." Mei gasped.

"Yeah. Because I never got answers for my mother's death, I often got frustrated when other things in life couldn't be answered. So I was quite upset when I didn't know why Suna did what he did."
you explained.

"I see, and what about your dad?"

"Well, he works all the time, though he's been working especially hard lately.
God knows why." you thought aloud.

The subway doors flew open, as the train arrived at your stop.
Mei and you snapped out of your thoughts and quickly exited the train.
The air was bitterly cold; and made your teeth chatter.

"How bout we forget all this and just have a good time, yeah?" Mei looked hopeful, her eyes twinkling.

You smiled.
"Sure."

—•—

"(Y/n)! How're you feeling?" Kita immediately greeted you as you approached the twin's  door.
It was as if he sensed you coming.

"Better." you replied, dryly.

"Great, cause Osamu made us food."
Kita smirked, as he rushed inside.
You and Mei exchanged excited looks as well.
Osamu's food sure did call for celebration.
The dining table was filled with mostly familiar faces.
Himari was busy on her phone, besides you weren't quite in the mood to interact with her.
Kita took a seat next to Atsumu, who was unusually quiet.
Osamu was still in the kitchen, cooking at lightning speed.
He looked over his shoulder to give you a warm smile, you waved back as you took a seat.
A beautiful aroma filled the air, making your mouth water as you took a seat.
At the far end of the table, sat a face that you hadn't seen quite that often:
Aran Ojiro.
He was chatting with Atsumu, who was barely paying him any attention.
Ojiro turned to look at you the minute you walked in.