Chapter 9

A/N: Thanks to AlbinoPeacock for posting the plunny for this story. Thanks to Fae Orabel for betaing this story! All other mistakes are mine. If you liked this (or hated it) let me know about it in a review! Find me on Tumblr at crochetawayhpff. See the gorgeous manip that Klawdee890 made for this story on Tumblr!

And major thank you to all my readers for reading, whether you reviewed or not! So sorry this is a week late! Newborns amiright? Hopefully, we'll be back on schedule for the rest of the chapters.

Enjoy!

~0o0~

The rest of their dates that summer went much the same as the first, and Thorfinn was over it. He couldn't wait for Granger to get back to Hogwarts. At Hogwarts, he'd have a much better time circumventing the rules of the courtship and ambush her in Hogsmeade one weekend. Their last date, Granger had spent more time talking with Bridgit than she had with Thorfinn. It was frustrating, and yet, he knew he couldn't push her.

He also still hadn't told her about the soulbond. There never seemed to be a good time to bring it up, especially when she was barely talking to him. She mentioned none of the uncomfortable feelings that Thorfinn was feeling. Hell, for all he knew, she wasn't feeling them at all. And wouldn't that just be the icing on the shit cake of this whole situation?

The frustration was a symptom of the soulbond, but knowing that fact did not help him. Not really, anyway. It was still there, a low-level irritation that affected everything he did and didn't do. It was somewhat useful during Quidditch practice, but he knew that at some point he'd reach a threshold where it wasn't helpful at all and became harmful. He just didn't know when that threshold was.

Thankfully, the first Hogsmeade weekend of the school year was a week before his first game. Although that meant juggling extra practices, he was able to get to Hogsmeade. He hadn't arranged to meet her, so he waited near the path back to the school gates. As long as she didn't come back just before curfew, he would have enough time. Although, being a seventh year, she likely had more leeway than a younger student if she did happen to break curfew.

He was lucky, though; he had only been waiting a quarter of an hour before Hermione appeared on the path with hours still left before the gates would be closed for the day.

Stepping out from the trees just as she came into view, she stopped, seemingly startled to see him.

"Rowle. What are you doing here?"

The sound of his last name on her lips was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.

"It's Thorfinn, it has been for months," he growled as he stalked toward her. Looping one arm around her waist, he drew her close and pressed a kiss to her lips. Her hands were on his chest and at first he was sure she was going to push him away, but she pulled him closer instead. The feeling of her lips on his was what he needed. It's what he'd been missing for months. The anxiety and frustration that had bubbled just beneath his skin calmed at just the touch of her skin on his.

When she finally pulled back, panting slightly, her cheeks were darkened and he couldn't help but smirk at her. "Come on," he murmured, keeping a hand around her waist and leading her back down the path to Hogsmeade.

They didn't encounter anyone else on the path, it was still early for most of the students, and by the time they made it to the small inn next to the Three Broomsticks, Thorfinn's fingers were itching to hold her again. He'd already bought a room, and when they entered, he nodded at the innkeeper and led Granger upstairs.

Granger still hadn't said anything, but the moment they were inside the room, she was pushing him back onto the bed and scrambling to climb on top of him. Her hands buried themselves in his hair and he groaned as she dug her fingers into his scalp, kissing him as if he were what she needed to live.