Chapter 17

1934, USA

Dad's been busy with the new documents he was able to find in the country. He was giving me a little less time in teaching because of it. As I sat by the settee in his study, his attention was focused on the journal he was writing on together with a messy pile of important books and documents.

I wasn't able to catch which part of history it is about but by the looks of it, it's probably around the early renaissance.

Trying to distract me, I decided to choose a book to read to pass the time. As I skim through the spines of books on the shelf, one book stood out. Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory. The legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the round table has always been my favourite.

The thought of chivalrous knights protecting their motherland has always appealed to me. Grabbing the book from the spine, I firmly carry it to the settee and started reading.

When I open it, a bookmark fell on the ground. I lean down to grab it when I noticed a ring lying on the floor. I took both the bookmark and the ring and bring them a little closer to my eyes. "Dad, is this yours?" I asked as I look towards him raising the ring so he could see.

It took a few more seconds before he managed to bring his eyes up to me and then to the ring. He squints a little then laughs. "You found it!" He said, then locks his eyes at the ring. I stood up and bring it to his hand.

"I have never seen you wear this," I said as he inspects the ring.

"Yes, well after throwing away my career I no longer feel I deserve this." He said, looking solemnly at the ring.

"Why not?" I ask as I sit back down, looking at him expectantly.

"It was passed down by my father to me as soon as I started attending university. This ring has been in our possession for as long as I know."

"Is it a family crest?"

He looks up at me and shakes his head no as he places the ring on one of his drawers. "No, it's a symbol for protection. Which reminds me!" He then grabs something from the other drawer and fished out a key, an old iron key towards me. "I do not have the gift I wish to give you on my person but this key will bring you to it."

I took the key in my hands and noticed the same symbol of his ring on its bow. "Which door will it open?"

"It's in Florence." He said, earning him a confused look from me making him laugh. "It's not much but if you're able to find the door, I'm sure it will give you answers."

Despite his cryptic message, a smile crept onto my face as I study it. The answers may not be relevant but it's comforting to know that there are answers that await me.

1476, Florence

I always find skeleton keys beautiful and perplexing. The keys in general are very interesting. They are the tool to possibly a secret door that might lead you to something you're not expecting.

As I study the skeleton key my father gave me, the symbol now appears a lot more important than I initially thought. I'm sure my father purposely has this key made with this bow as a sign for me. This key has never left my person since I got here but its importance didn't reveal itself until now.

The last time I visited Florence, my father didn't mention anything about the key. I wonder, did he have the key made in this century? However, before I could find the door waiting for this key to be opened, I must uncover the mysteries of these symbols. With how intricate the symbols are, I can only assume it would be difficult to uncover in a deeply catholic city especially when it seems to predate Christianity.