"We've read Confess by Colleen Hoover. I thought you would like a different book by her. I hope you haven't read it yet."

"No, I haven't," I replied. The bold letters on the back jumped out at me: SOMETIMES THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU IS THE ONE WHO HURTS YOU THE MOST. Perplexed, I glanced over the description but Reth interrupted my thoughts.

"Look inside," he told me. Flipping the book open, I discovered a bracelet disguised as a page marker. Two charms hung together: an infinity symbol and a small crystal heart. I looked up at him in awe. He seemed expectant, waiting for my reaction patiently.

"What do they mean?" I asked him with a smile.

"Well the heart is for our song. You have all of my heart, Clare. Forever."

"And the infinity sign?"

"'They say nothing lasts forever, so we're going to have to prove them wrong.' You told me that when you chose your killjoy."

"Oh, Reth," I smiled brightly. "This is beautiful."

"Do you like it?" He asked me, nervously scratching the back of his neck.

"I love it," I said, hugging him tightly. "Thank you."

"Let me put it on for you," he excitedly told me, and I obligingly offered him my wrist. The charms jingled together as he latched the bracelet around me. "Beautiful." He offered me a wide smile, obviously proud of himself for making me so happy; I was beaming with adoration for this wonderful man in front of me.

I pecked him on the lips before pulling away quickly, crinkling my nose at him. "You should go brush your teeth," I told him meekly. He laughed, turning away from me and towards his bathroom.

When we arrived at school, everyone around us was healthily glowing, at ease after the break. Chatter filled the hallways, students bustling around us with the latest gossip and new presents to show off. We found the group of guys near the lockers, greeting them cheerily.

"Hey, guys," Reth said with a nod. I offeded the group a small wave and Reth pulled me to his side, snaking his arm around my waist and kissing my forehead tenderly.

"You guys are gross," Raquel huffed, rolling his eyes at us. Matt looked amused, Blake looked bored, but Jules' expression was different. He frowned at us, his melancholy gaze making me feel uneasy. His arms were crossed across his chest, his eyes squinting slightly as he looked at Reth and I before quickly looking away.

To my dismay, Reth noticed. "Do you have a problem, man?" He spat out at him.

"Of course not," Jules said defensively.

"Hey, man, chill," Raquel said in shock.

"Reth!" I exclaimed, surprised at his blatant rudeness. "That's no way to talk to your friend."

"Whatever," he growled, grabbing my wrist tightly and turning around. "Let's go, Clare."

He pulled me along, toward our first period class. I tried to wrench my arm away from his grasp but he wouldn't budge, wouldn't stop.

"You're hurting me, Reth!" I cried out as my wrist began to throb. He quickly let go, spinning around to face me with worry clouding his eyes.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to do that!" He kissed my wrist, then took me into his arms. He buried his face into my neck and I stiffened, taken aback. I had never seen him so insecure before, and the fear I felt radiating from him scared me.

"Reth, what is wrong? What is going on?" I combed my fingers through his hair, and he sighed heavily, his warm breath tickling my skin.

"Nothing, baby," he whispered. "I just don't want to lose you."