~22~

I'm ready to punt someone, and you will too by the end of this chapter. 

Also, there will only be about 1 or 2 chapters left, but I'm planning on writing a second book to the series.

CONTENT WARNING: may be triggering to those who have experienced SA and the aftermath of SA. I advise you to skip straight to chapter 23.

-----

I wobble along the path to my grandparents house, seeing passerbys give me weird looks. I arrive in 30 minutes, wincing at the excruciating pain. I open the door and walk in, leaning against the door before walking down the hallway. I don't hear my grandparents and trip over the rug, landing on my knees and sending more pain throughout my body. I look at the clock from my spot in front of the living room. 5:02 p.m.

I mentally tally the time, realizing I must have been in the field for almost 4 hours, which is alarming considering it felt like half an hour, maximum. I feel my stomach cramp and groan, feeling pain spark everywhere in my body. I crawl over to the kitchen, pulling myself up by the counter. I pant with the effort and lean on the counter, opening the fridge. I see rotisserie chicken and waste no time tearing into it.

I slide down the counter, not even tasting the grease or fat, just feeling it quench my hunger. I rest against the floor and feel my body begin to heal itself slowly. I feel myself grow tired, but before I can fall asleep I hear the home phone go off on the kitchen island. I contemplate just leaving it but reluctantly pull myself up and wobble over to it. I pull it off it's charging station and hold it to my ear.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Dana sweetheart," I sigh in relief, Grandma. "Your grandfather and I are on our way now to pick you up for the party, so get ready." I mentally curse, upset that I forgot all about it. I tell her I will and rush- well, rush as fast as I can in my current situation- to my closet. I grab the funeral dress and throw it on, glad that it's not a tight dress but instead flows and allows me to breathe. I grab my black wedges by the door and tug them on, tearing up at the pain still in my lower region. I bite my lip to stifle the shout of pain and rush to my bathroom.

I sit down on the toilet, pulling my white panties down. I hoist my dress up and bite my lip at the sight in front of me. My originally white lace panties are stained a dark red at the crotch area. I grab for the trashcan and feel my chicken dinner come up. I wipe my mouth and look down warily. I pull off the underwear and toss them in with my vomit, silent tears running down my face. I attempt to pee, but feeling it burn, making my tears escape with muffled sobs. I wad up some toilet paper in my hand and carefully wipe both my holes, which stains the white tissue in dark red.

I hear a knock at my bathroom door and accidentally press against my lower regions, shouting at the pain it sparked. "Dana?" Grandma's panicked and confused voice comes. I hold in my sobs and flush, telling her I'm fine and I'll meet her in the kitchen. I stand up and wash my hands, seeing my blotchy face in the mirror I look behind the mirror and see razors, shaving cream, and the thing I'm looking for- Ibuprofen. I down a couple before sipping on some water from the sink.

 I can't be bothered to do any makeup and limp to the dresser, pulling out a new pair of black underwear. I slip them on, feeling the pain slightly get better. I go back into the bathroom and contemplate using a tampon to soak up the blood, but wince at the thought- opting instead to fold some toilet paper in my underwear. I walk back to my dresser and tug on a pair of spanx, hissing as it presses on sore spots.

I rush down the hallway and meet them in the kitchen. They tell me how precious I look and snap a few pictures to send to my mom, who I completely forgot about until now. I give them my best smile and soon enough we all pile into the car. I bite my lip to stop the tears and whimpers of pain when the car does anything at all. The tiniest speed bump feels like I'm using a razor blade as a dildo. We finally arrive at what has to be considered a new age castle. Normally I would be in awe at the architecture but not today. Grandpa questions what's wrong as we hit another bump going up the winding driveway and I swat away the question.

Grandpa finally parks the car and walks over to Grandma's door, opening it for her and bowing. She giggles and together they both come over to my side and open the door. I smile/grimace at them and slowly lift myself. We walk up to the valet and Grandpa hands them his keys, walking past without so much as a head nod.

"Why aren't they at the party? Are they part of the pack?" I ask them.

"Oh Goddess no. They're," Grandma gets quiet, "mountain lions." She whispers it like it's the worst thing she's ever heard of.

"So?" I ask, getting upset. I wobble as best as I can with them as we pass servers towards a long hallway with a large closed door.

"Oh, I forget you don't know much sometimes. Well there's a hierarchy of species, first of course is us wolves, then it goes everything else." I bare my teeth at her back, my wolf pissed. I calm her down and walk back towards them.

"That doesn't sound like a hierarchy, that sounds like a dictatorship where only wolf shifters get power."

"Same, difference. Now," Grandma pulls me off to the side before we can enter the closed doors. "I need you to be on your best behavior, especially to Hayden's parents. No drinking, no sneaking off, no swearing, no dancing with anybody except your mates, and do not, and I repeat, not, speak to any other species." She warns me, her blue eyes boring into mine. I pull her hands off my shoulders and give her a tense nod. She smiles and leads us to the doors, the guards at the side pulling open the doors. I paste on the fakest smile possible and walk into the room.