Chapter One

READ FIRST: as I am reading the comments on 10/13/2021, I am learning that I spoke derogatorily about Ethiopia. I am deeply sorry. I have not visited this story since around 2014 and honestly have not checked on it until today. I do not write anymore, but if I do, I am aware that I should not have put that in my story. There are no excuses other than I was 13/14 when I wrote this. I am now 22 and know better. Thanks for reading!

***

Just a few things before you read. Don't get mad at me when you don't read this and get confused. Seriously. And someone complained me and told me I was being a bitch, so I'm just saying here that I'm not trying to be a one. I'm just telling it like it is. I need you guys, the readers, to understand that this is a first draft, and I'm not going to proofread and copy edit a first draft when I could be working on a second draft. It's honestly a waste of time.

This isn't non-understandable. It's coherent. There are just a few spots where "he" should be a "she" and vice versa. Read on and please keep in mind that I'm not trying to be a bitch; I'm just clarifying.

1. Paisley is Brier. Brier is Paisley. I started writing this story with Brier being the main character, but then I changed it to Paisley. They're the same person. Please stop asking who Brier is.

2. Jude Andrews is a bad boy, notoriously. Please stop asking me why Paisley calls him by his first and last name. He's known at school for being trouble. She isn't usually associated with trouble. She feels the need to call him by both names; it's not a big deal.

3. Jude orders coffee. Paisley orders banana milkshakes. Stop asking about this, too. I write fast. I don't proofread. Sometimes Jude is drinking a milkshake. He could be drinking Paisley's, but most likely it's a mistake.

4. I'm not French. Please stop correcting me in the comments. Cafe D'amour, according to Google, means 'coffee love.'

5. Stop correcting my grammar and spelling in the comments. I'm sorry, but I never asked people to point out mistakes (I don't believe), so please stop. I'm good at grammar, so I can correct my own writing. This is a rough draft. I don't proofread. There will be mistakes. Please stop correcting mine. I don't need to know that I typed "he" instead of "she". I'll find it when I edit. But for now I really don't care. There's a difference between telling me that I said Presley said (another character in another story) instead of Paisley said and typing "he" instead of "she." I don't mind you correcting the former.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh, but this story has been up for a year now (it's currently Saturday, February 22, 2014), and I keep getting comments asking questions that can be answered in the five points above. Please don't ask me anymore questions regarding what I've already discussed. If you don't, I won't respond. I'll know you didn't read this.

Again, I'm done being mean. I hope you enjoy the story! :D I love all of you who've read this and loved it! <3

~

"Three months."

            Dr. Caldwell says it with so much finality that I'm scared. Sounding so sure, sounding so positive, that it scares me. I know he's correct; I know that this can't be an error. And that scares me. He didn't do the tests wrong, and he's been doing his job for what seems like since the beginning of time. He's the best in his field. So I know that he's not wrong. And that scares me.

            Blandly, I ask, "Are you sure?" I know he's right, therefore I hope I'm wrong.

            Giving me a curt nod, he tightens his lips before speaking. "Yes, Ms. Daniels, I'm sure this isn't the best news you've received all week, but I'm afraid that I'm not mistaken."