The Speech

America's POV

We shared a romantic dance which made me blush. Me in Maxon's arms and Maxon's hand around my waist always made me feel protected and warm. I knew nothing could ever go wrong if he was here, in front of my eyes, just loving me as much as before. My stomach was attacked by butterflies and the tickles overtook me,  while Maxon and I were busy starring at each other. Had I gone crazy or was it just the feeling of being in love? 

"America, it's not mandatory for you to give a speech. If you don't feel well, I could happily tell the audience that you can't."

"I don't have to but I want to, Maxon." I added. 

"Now, I am eager to know what must be so enticing that you are keen on giving this speech. Though I am assuming that you are scared. "

That was, unfortunately, true. My fight and flight mode was quite active. From sweating to faster heart rate, I didn't know what to say even if I knew the main subject I wanted to talk about. I was unsure if people and specifically Maxon would like the speech or not. What if I ended up offending them or saying something wrong which I wasn't supposed to? 

"Stop it, Maxon. You are scaring me more."

"Just take a deep breath and decide what you want to talk about. Even before you know it, you will be done with the speech and I would be standing proudly, right here and clapping at my achievement of marrying you."

"Please give me a chance to welcome Her Majesty to say a few words for us." 

It was my turn to go as Maxon squeezed my hand gently and the crowd gave a round of applause. I gulped while making my way for the podium. 

"Good evening everyone! Thank you for being here on very short notice. The Royal Family along with myself is glad to have you with us this Christmas. Christmas has always been the children's festival, where they ask for gifts from Santa Claus but this time around, I saw myself making a wish. Every night when I sit with my husband and children, I feel the longing in their eyes to see what I was. The America, I was. I try hard, every night to recall something, that could make me reconnect with them but I have failed. I can't even imagine the pain and the agony they must be going through right now. I am sorry to every one of you who was initially important to me, but now I don't recall them. Maxon, I owe the most to you. I am sorry for not being the America you wanted. The one you cherished and loved with your utmost heart. Even though you try, you can't hide the pain behind your smile and I am really sorry for becoming the reason for this agony. I was crazy when I lost my memories but ..." A tear drops my eye at that very moment. I realised my voice was getting hoarse while the audience keenly listened to me, turning emotional as well. 

"Amer.." I see, Maxon, trying to cut me off but I continue. 

"... I found myself getting crazier in the after days. I could not help but notice the way, my husband treated me, even though, I had become the reason for his misery. He understood me, my needs and most of all, he supported me all through it. He never said a word against me or accused me of causing this much pain to him, but he loved me the way I never thought I could be, after this accident. Max, I don't know if I will recall everything we had, but I will try to recall those memories because I will only cherish them more. I have been thinking since the day I felt this feeling for the first time. I didn't know what to call it but it was a different one. The one that taught me to laugh amidst all this crisis and feel lucky for having you in my life. But now I am aware of this beautiful feeling. Maxon Schreave, I have fallen in love with you. I have fallen in love with you all over again. Please tell me that you still do, because if you hate me secretly for losing my memories, then I don't believe there's a reason for me to live. To my audience here, I just want to say that life doesn't always give you a second chance to fall in love, but if you receive it, then you are the luckiest person in the world. Just like myself. I feel so lucky to have had you as my husband, Max. I love you." I completed, wiping any hint of tears from my face. 

There was silence all around. Nobody clapped or spoke. Not even Maxon, while I was awaiting a reply like a teenager proposing for the first time. 

"My my, I never thought I would hear the Queen proposing in front of everyone. It was so beautiful and romantic! I wish my husband was the same." I hear a woman complain in the background but my eyes were still fixated on Maxon, who was stunned to silence. 

He slowly walked towards me and took my hands in his. I couldn't look him in the eye. I felt too embarrassed to do so. I had proposed him in a not-so-elegant way in a Christmas Ball, in front of the whole country.

"America." he said in a faint, low voice. 

I was finally looking at him to understand what he was about to say. There seemed an intense environment in the room, as I could notice no one except Maxon. 

"Your Majesties!!!" Geez, these guards will never let us be at peace and converse freely. 

"If it's not important, you are dismissed!" Maxon's voice thundered across the room. 

"My Pardon, Your Majesty but Lady Kriss has escaped the prison."

"Why have you been kept in this Palace? How has a prisoner escaped under your watch?" He questioned them, furious. I had never seen him this way. Maybe this Kriss or whatever her name was, had committed a grave crime but the name sounded familiar to me. 

You are going to become Kriss's child father... "He is Mine.".... Tell Lady Kriss to meet me in the Women's Room at 2 pm... I didn't send the Divorce Papers... She is pregnant, Your Majesty... I m sorry, Maxon for doubting you. I know, it's not yours... I am afraid, it's my fault...........

A thousand thoughts rushed my mind with flashbacks.

I held both my hands at my forehead, closing my eyes tightly to remember things. The room looked like it had started to spin and slowly I had started to lose my vision.

"Are you alright, America?" Maxon enquired. shifting his focus on me. 

"You lied to me!!" 

"About what? When?"

"She was the reason I had fainted yesterday but you lied that it was because of tiredness."

-----
Hey Guys,

I am so so sorry for updating after this long. I missed you all so much and our dear Maxerica as well. This chapter was originally supposed to be out around late Sept and its Feb right now. You won't believe, I even wrote a draft with more emotions than this and ended up losing it and I couldn't get back myself to write it all over again. Anyways, here's something you have been anticipating for months now. I hope it was worth the wait and I promise, I won't disappear after this which means I will be updating more frequently. My exams end on the 15th of this month, so the next chapter will be out on the 16th because I am so excited to give you the climax of the book in the next few chapters to come. I hope you liked it and if you did, then don't forget to tune in for what's coming next, because it's surely interesting and will keep you hooked to your seats. Stay safe and have a wonderful time reading. Also, a very Happy Cholocate Day to all my readers. If you want a piece of write up for the upcoming Valentine's Day, then don't forget to hit me up in DM. I am joking, of course, but if you have some stories to tell, then you are more than welcome to DM me. ;) Stay safe and have a great day/night :)

Love,
Marguerite Gibson