Chapter 14- Fleeting

Things got a little awkward when, during dinner with Reyna, Tilde, and Thomas on Tuesday night, the doorbell rang. When Tilde got up to answer the door, Carlisle was standing on the porch asking to come in.

"Cici, that sounds like Mr. Vanson," Thomas muttered with wonder as he leaned in his chair to try to see to the doorway. Cicero's eyes had gone wide. Carlisle walked into the kitchen with Tilde. Reyna simply nodded her head before continuing to eat, no longer questioning his presence in her house. "Hello, Mr. Vanson!" Thomas greeted happily. He was sitting next to Cicero at the table and was wearing a dark blue jumper and dark jeans. Cicero was wearing a black cropped sweater and a grey and black plaid skirt going down to their knees with a pair of black thigh-high socks to hide their scars, a velvet black choker with a crescent moon pendant, dark red lipstick, black winged eyeliner, and silver eyeshadow.

Carlisle stared at the couple and the two reapers. "Hello, Mr. Camberwell," he greeted before his gaze switched over to the reaper he was sitting by. "Hello, Miss Stemple."

"What are you doing here?" Thomas wondered, continuing to be polite.

Carlisle stared at Cicero before murmuring, "Family business."

Cicero stood up from the table. "Excuse me." They walked past the demon to get out of the kitchen, leading him to the sitting room. "What's going on?"

"I found out what the things we stole from the Vatican were for," Carlisle said, his voice low and dark. "It was for an angel summoning."

Cicero stared at the demon, unable to respond for a good ten seconds. "A... an angel summoning," they whispered. The demon nodded. "That's fucking bullshit."

"No, I am telling—"

The reaper groaned. "No, I believe you, I do. That's not the bullshit I'm talking about. The bullshit is that he'd fucking do that after summoning you."

Carlisle nodded. "It does fire me up a bit, I'll admit." He felt that Forrest didn't think he was good enough for him; however, he hadn't mentioned anything about being dissatisfied by his service. "I feel as though he is trying to make a contract with an angel now, too."

"I don't get it." Cicero shook their head. "Now he has deals with an angel, a demon, and a reaper. What does he have cooking? He certainly doesn't need all three of us to help him with his plans of eradicating crime in London."

Carlisle nodded. "I thought you should know."

"How did you find out? Did he tell you?"

The demon shook his head as he said, sounding guilty, "I looked through the book and found the page that the ingredients we had to get matched on."

Cicero stared at him, their expression and gaze softening with astonishment. "You... disobeyed?"

Carlisle sighed and shrugged as he ran a hand through his hair. "Well, he never told me to not look in the book."

The reaper nodded, smiling. "I'm impressed."

Carlisle chuckled, looking down as he blushed a little. "I... didn't mean to intrude on your dinner with Thomas."

"No, no, this was important. He... wants to have a meeting with me on Thursday night."

Carlisle frowned, eyebrows knitting together. "He's sending me out on an errand on Thursday night, so he must not want me there."

Chills ran down the reaper's spine. "Curious." They couldn't help but feel worried.

"Things are going well with Thomas?" Carlisle asked hopefully.