Chapter 7- Appointment

Once they had their tea made, the two beings moved to the sitting room. Carlisle sat on the brown leather sofa while Cicero sat in their usual green alcantara chair. Carlisle looked around, taking in every detail of the sitting room, from its coffee table to the fireplace and ornate mantle, from the wallpaper to the shag carpet, from the lace curtains to the crystals and talismans sitting on the window sills. It was a very peaceful atmosphere.

"Tell me about yourself, now," Cicero demanded before taking a tiny sip of tea. "How did you get mixed up with Aingeal."

Carlisle set the teacup in its saucer on the coffee table. "It's always strange when a demon goes to make a deal with a human. They can't summon demons, as they don't have the power, but their pleas for help tend to be heard if they're serious about their intentions. They would, quite literally, sell their souls to fulfill their wishes and desires. Most of them make deals with the demons that manifest, but some back out when they realize how deep they are into it. I heard my master's call, one so desperate that it reached me, so I confronted him. In exchange for his soul, I have to help him rid England of all crime."

Cicero's eyebrows shot up. "That's... quite the tall order." They chewed on their lip. "So, Octavius Marsh..."

"Mr. Marsh was a drug dealer," the demon explained. "Master Aingeal wished for me to expose him and have him incarcerated. Unfortunately, he wasn't holding up his end of the bargain."

Cicero nodded, already knowing this about him. "Well, you'll be pleased to know that, the night we met, when he disappeared, he reappeared at the police station with half a kilogram of cocaine on his person."

Carlisle's honey brown eyes lit up. "My master will be pleased to learn this. He will be pleased with you."

Cicero scoffed. "I'm sure he will be."

The demon grinned. "Thank you."

The reaper shrugged. "You're welcome." They took another sip of tea. "Will you and Aingeal treat me better than the rest of the students? You know, give me better grades, call on me more often, make me look good in front of the others, that sort of bullshit?"

"Absolutely not," Carlisle chuckled. "My master sees keeping the two retired reapers and your human friend alive as generous." Cicero sighed, sounding a little disappointed. "Do you choose how you look?" Cicero nodded. "I like the form you've chosen."

The reaper sipped some tea to hide their grin. Once they swallowed, they said, "You're not too bad yourself."

"Choosing a form that is both intimidating and likable was a little tricky, but I think it works. Students interact with me enthusiastically, and enemies cower before me."

Cicero scoffed after a moment. "So, should I come to your office hours, or do I need to make an appointment to see you if I need something?"

Carlisle sighed. "It would work better for me if you came to me during office hours or made an appointment with me if you need help with the class. For anything else, especially that involving our job, you may just come to me."

"Good to know," the reaper muttered.

"I don't want things to be awkward between us," Carlisle muttered. "I want to make this feel as natural as possible."

"It's too late. A demon is my teacher's assistant while my teacher has a contract... probably one of the strangest experiences I've ever had."

Carlisle hummed. "That's... fair, I suppose."

"How will I know when Aingeal needs me for a job?"

"I'll fetch you from... wherever you are, I suppose," Carlisle answered dismissively, as if it were an obvious answer.

"That could be dangerous for the both of us: dangerous for me if I'm on the job or trying to be human, dangerous for you if you catch me at a bad time."

"What would be considered a bad time?" the demon wondered.

"If I'm sleeping, showering, or with Thomas, because he cant find out."

He nodded understandingly. "And, if it's an emergency?"

"I'll just kick your ass once the situation is resolved," Cicero muttered plainly.

Carlisle's face went blank. "You know, my master did give me permission to defend myself against you if the occasion arose, even if it means killing you in self defense."

The reaper set their tea down. "What is that supposed to mean to me?"

"I would just like you to know that you caught me off guard the other night." His tone was innocent but his smirk was dangerous. "I assure you it won't happen again."

Cicero stared at him, green eyes sparkling. "Perhaps you may then stand a chance against me. Maybe you will only lose your hands and not an arms."

Carlisle stared right back, eyes glowing ever so slightly with red violet light. "For such a small, breakable creature, you really do threaten me quite often."

The reaper shrugged. "I'm older than you."

"Does older always mean more powerful, though?" The demon challenged.

"Not... always," Cicero admitted bashfully, "but I am also more powerful than you."

"So, it's a challenge, then?" Carlisle wondered in a cocky pur.

"No, it's a fact," Cicero chuckled back with the same air of confidence.

Carlisle chuckled, shaking his head. "I like you."

Cicero rolled their eyes. "I tolerate you, as well." They picked up their tea and finished the cup before standing up with it and the saucer. "Are you finished with yours?"

The demon blinked a little before realizing what they were asking about. "Yes, I am." He carefully handed them the nearly-empty cup in the saucer to them. "Thank you," he murmured softly.

"Don't mention it," Cicero sighed as they limped to the kitchen, as they could not carry the saucers and use their cane simultaneously. Not knowing what else to do but wait and, since he wasn't one to enjoy waiting, Carlisle followed, cautiously picking up the reaper's cane/scythe and taking it with him, letting it hang loosely at his side.

"I hope you have your homework done for tomorrow's discussion," Carlisle muttered as he watched Cicero start washing dishes at the sink.

The reaper tipped their head back and groaned in frustration. "See?! This is why this whole situation is weird! Get off my ass about my homework for a class you really shouldn't be allowed to assist in teaching."

The demon's expression fell blank. "You don't think I am qualified?"

"Absolutely," they replied bluntly.

Carlisle smirked as he leaned against the doorframe. "Well, we'll see about that tomorrow."