Chapter 14: Adjustments

Start from the beginning

Harry and Ron are friends again. After the first task, Ron finally realized that Harry isn't crazy or stupid enough to put his own name into the Goblet. Then there was the Yule Ball. I'm really sorry you couldn't make it. Fred had a good time, though, and he, George, Lee, and Angelina went as a group. And, before you ask, no he did not dance with any other girls. Harry and Ron each took one of the Patil twins, but neither of them had much fun. It took them forever to be able to ask girls to the dance.. Ron asked me to the dance as a last resort, but I already had a date. Viktor Krum! He asked me to the dance while I was in the library. Him and I had so much fun together! I tried to get him to say my name, but he never did get it quite right. He told me a bit about Durmstrang and he isn't at all like I thought he would be. He's actually really nice. After the dance, Ron and I had a giant fight. He didn't like the fact that I went to the dance with Viktor Krum. He said I was colluding with the enemy.

Now to the most important thing. How are you feeling? Are you still sick? I really hope you're not. We're all worried about you. Will you be able to make it to the second task? Don't worry about it if you can't, though. All we want is for you to get better. No matter how you're feeling, we would all like an update.

Sincerely,

Harry, Ron, and Hermione

My parents read the letter over my shoulder. I sigh. I'm missing so much! Most of all, I miss Fred. At least he had fun with friends. "What should I tell them?" I ask. I don't want to scare them. What are they going to think of me now? It's a full four seconds before they respond. "I think you should hold off on responding," mom says. I look at her. "Why?" I ask irritably. "We don't know what's going to happen yet. They are probably only familiar with the traditional newborn vampires. Who knows what their reaction would be if you told them?" she responds. I don't reply, causing her to take a seat next to me. "I don't think they would mind. Professor Lupin was a werewolf, after all," I say. I hear mom sigh. "Yeah, but they knew him for months before they found that out. You have to be more careful now. You have to think about what you say before you say it," mom says. She has a point. There are plenty of witches and wizards who don't like vampires, and there is always the chance of the letter getting intercepted. In the end, I decide to heed my mom's advice and not reply to the letter.

It feels like forever before Charlie finally leaves - although it was only two and a half hours. By the end of his visit, mom and dad let me sit outside of my bedroom, and I'm still able to control myself. "Good job Chloe!" mom says happily when he leaves. Frankly, I'm impressed to, since yesterday I almost killed a few random strangers. I still feel slightly guilty about that. I merely smile. "Now that Charlie's gone, there has been something I have been waiting Chloe's entire life to teach her. Chloe, follow me," dad says. I immediately know what he's wanting to do. Teach me how to fight. I, however, don't move. "Dad, I don't want to mess up my hair," I say. He stops to turn and look at me. "So all that talk yesterday about being able to do stuff that I can't do was all talk. I see. If you're scared, we don't have to have a little competition," he says.

I glare at him, and I can feel my temper flare slightly. "I'm not scared, I just don't want to get my hair messed up," I repeat. "Sure," he replies. "You're all bark and no bite. I was hoping that when you finally turned, I'd have a new person to beat in wrestling matches, but I guess not," he says with a fake sigh. Even though it's fake sigh, it still makes my temper rise. "Fine. You want a fight, you got one," I say. I walk ahead of him and make my way to our backyard. I can do this. I can do this. I'm a newborn, and I'll be stronger than him for a little while. I may not have a good technique, but at least I'm stronger than him. My dad races past me and beats me to our lawn. There's no mistaking the excited and arrogant look on his face.

The instant I step in front of him, he pounces, but I'm ready for him. My brain was already preparing me to fight before I had left the house. When he charges at me, I'm already prepared for him. I watch his every move to the smallest degree all while my subconscious tries to come up with the best ways to block his attacks. While I did learn fighting techniques as a human, my memories of my human life are murky and I never practiced the techniques with someone else. I mostly just punched and kicked the air and learned what damage I was supposed to be causing. These two things combined mean that I don't put up much of a fight. The first time he charges at me, I'm able to use my newborn strength to push him away into one of the trees that's a few feet away from the house. He immediately gets back up. I expect him to head towards me again, but he doesn't. I turn around and scan the forests for him, part of my brain cataloging everything in the process while another focuses solely on him. I can hear the faint rustle of leaves brushing against each other, and I can hear the creaking of branches big and small as they are forced to accommodate themselves to hold a burden. I can still smell him, but it smells like he's coming from all over. Before I know it, I'm being pinned on the ground. I look into the face of my dad, and I don't bother to hold back the low growl that's wanting to build in my chest, and I glare at him again. "Hey, don't be a sore loser," he says. I'm able to push him off and send him a few feet away from me. "Again," I demand, standing up before he can. Dad smiles again, gladly fulfilling my request.