Home

As Reva sauntered across the verandah, she observed her workplace, the serene old age home. Life at Senior Care Community House carried on with its customary calm. The residents were busy in their morning activities which followed breakfast.
Mrs. Mathur and Mr. Verma, former State Prosecutor and a well-known defense advocate had buried the hatchet long ago in court room. At the moment, they were having a game of chess. Former justice Mr. Fernandes, who had spent most part of his life as a judge in court, still continued to be salt of the earth and now took over the post of their permanent chess referee.
Solemn looking Mrs. Shah moved around chanting hymns. Though a hard nut to crack, she always asked God to bless everyone.

‘Maybe the Gods listen to her’, Reva thought as everyone was in good health ever since she had come and brought her little blessing, Mansi. Mansi was an orphan whom Mrs. Shah had rescued near the Shiv Temple, which was her home before the old age home and the orphan’s for a while before they had a close shave with death in a political conflict. As they were witness of the debacle, Reva brought them to her home and workplace. Also, being an orphan herself she could not bring her heart leave the baby girl on authority’s mercy.

Although the child was under the weather during the initial weeks, she eventually recovered and was now growing by leaps and bounds. Reva now comfortably shed any apprehensions about the child’s care at home. She never ruffled anyone’s feathers even in her most playful times. Instead, she had added new colours to everyone’s life.

“Looks like it’s a pleasant morning for you, ma’am”, Mr.Fernandes greeted Reva. ‘Ma’am’ was a nickname she had earned due to her ‘vigilant care and supervision’ of the residents.

“Only if all of you’ve had your breakfast with morning medical routine”, Reva replied.

Mr. Fernandes gave an exaggerated thinking gesture in reply.
“I take it as yes”, Reva said knowing him very well.

Author's Note:
This is how I begin my story as a writer. It's like setting sail. And not knowing the direction to steer.
If you have any ideas to the direction of this story and/or any critique, please comment.