CHAPTER 21

Alexis

"So he played  F-sharp when he was supposed to play F-major," Liam says, irritated.

"Oh my," I feign a gasp and put a hand on my chest, "whatever will you do."

"This is serious, Alex."

I burst out laughing, "I am sorry, I just don't understand why you won't talk to me in English."

"You're mean."

I snort, "You do realize my musical qualities are the same as that of a cow."

"I think they are worse than a cow's," Liam says, maintaining a straight face.

I playfully smack him on the shoulder and he hisses from the pain. The karate classes I took in school have resulted in this.

We are in Professor Black's class, waiting for her. She's two minutes late; surprising considering she probably has a neon-lit poster of 'punctuality' hanging in front of her bed, so that it is the first thing she sees in the morning.

We have seats in a semi-circle with each row  raised at a level higher than the previous ones, so we can all see the teacher and the board. It reminds me of the classrooms in The Perfectionists, but sadly, we don't have a murderer on loose among us, and definitely not a teacher who wants to play detective with the students. Hopefully not.

Liam and I are sitting in the fourth row, which is the ideal position for us to copy notes and also for me to sleep, in case Black's words and lullabies get mixed up in my head. I paid for this seat and I will do whatever I want to do with it.

"Look," I run a hand through my hair, "All I am saying, is that if you don't like it, then change it."

"It's teamwork, Lex, it's not that easy."

I wiggle my eyebrows at him, "Well, do you want me to beat him up?"

"God, No!" his face blanches in color.

"Relax," I burst out laughing, "I am not going to do it."

"When it comes to you, I can never fully guess."

"He's butchering your song, let me at least do something to him." I insist.

Liam has worked really hard on this song, and I am not going to let some rando ruin this for me. He made this song from scratch for his boyfriend and it deserves so much. I will punch anyone who tries to make a blunder of it.

"Please promise me you will not do anything to Correy," Liam pleads.

"Wait, it's Correy?" I ask incredulously, "The weird guy who thinks long hair and perpetually cradling a guitar is cool?"

Liam rolls his eyes, "It's his vibe."

"More like a knock off Hozier gone wrong," I mutter.

"Just promise, Lex."

I throw my hands up and give in, "Fine, I won't!"

He looks at me pointedly, "If you do, I will be a witness against you at court."

I make a show of checking my nails, "Bold of you to assume I will be caught."

"Please don't do anything drastic."

"I won't," I wave a hand in front of him, then lean towards him, and in a slow whisper I say, "Promises can be broken though."

"Alexis!" he shrieks and I am pretty sure he's scared for Correy's life now.