30

Appa had been flying over the endless ocean for what seemed to be forever now. Aang conducting Appa. Zuko sat in the back leaning against the edge of the saddle wanting to create as much distance with the Sun Spirit who had been struggling to meditate for the past couple of hours.

"We've been riding for hours." Zuko groaned as Appa flew towards the Sun Warriors' island, "I don't know why, but I thought this thing would be a lot faster."

Appa growled loudly and Aang glanced over his shoulder at the older teen cheerfully. "Appa's right, Zuko. In our group, typically we start our missions with a more upbeat attitude."

"Are you going to complain the entire way?" The girl glared at him opening an eye. "I'm trying to meditate. Shh!" she hissed, the edge of her eye twitching with annoyance. Truth was just being around him set him on edge. She couldn't believe how much of a diva Zuko could be about these things. 'Spoiled royal brat...'

"You've been demanding peace and quiet since we left the Air Temple. Give it a rest. You don't even know what you're doing." He scoffed rudely turning to glare back at her.

"Aren't you a little too young to be suffering from fire bendingdisfunction?" She poked where she knew it would hurt him.

Zuko's face had turned red in both anger and embarrassment he was about to retort a snide comment when Aang interrupted.

"Quit it you two!" Aang called over his shoulder scolding the two teenagers that were acting more like children. They had been glaring and making snide comments at each other the whole way through. "If you two are going to fight the whole way to the temple I'm turning Appa around!"

The arguing teens in the back both lowered their shoulders in defeat and glared at each other sparks flying when their gazes crossed.

"I can't believe this!" Zuko grumbled under his breath and he rested his head on the saddle rim with a sigh.

Aang cringed slightly as he guided Appa through the sky. He wondered just what had happened to those two over the night. They had gone from holding hands to not speaking to full-blown tension and fighting in less than twenty-four hours.

"Don't worry," Aang quipped with a grin as he guided Appa through the sky. "You'll get the hang of it," he said optimistically regarding Zuko's firebending. "And hopefully we'll learn something about the Sun Spirit!"

Zuko rolled his eyes and remained silent, crossing his arms over his chest. He stared up at passing clouds overhead. He couldn't bear the sight of her. It was much too painful...

Appa suddenly growled loudly and Zuko sat up. The sky bison sped up and broke through a low hanging cloud. The three gasped in awe at the sight below.

"Whoa!"

Scattered ruins littered a golden island below. The striking architecture and pyramids standing as a testament to the ages. Aang flicked the reins and directed Appa towards the edge of the ruins, the sky bison landing with a low grunt. Aang retrieved his staff from the saddle as Zuko and Tsai jumped to the ground, looking at the ancient ruins before them in awe.

Moments later they were exploring.

"Even though these buildings are ancient, there's something eerily familiar about them." Zuko commented as he looked around. "I can tell the Fire Sages' temples are somehow descended from these."

"Okay, we learned something about architecture." Aang quipped and he looked over his shoulder at the older boy, "Hopefully, we'll learn something about firebending and the sun. The past can be a great teacher."

"Do you feel any different Tsai?" He asked. She was about to respond when his foot suddenly caught on something and he tripped forward with a surprised yelp. His yelp turned into a yell of fear when the ground in front of him vanished, revealing a bed of sharp black spikes. It was a trap! Aang quickly exhaled a huge gust of air, preventing himself from falling into the pit trap while propelling himself safely across to the other side.