Chapter 35: Asphodel

Start from the beginning

Thomas brushed his hair and helped him wash up.

Soft apologies fell from the servant's lips as he dressed Julius. What felt like an eternity might have only been for a mere few minutes as Thomas tried to gently lift his arms one arm after another to put on his shirt and blazer. There was a flare-up in his knees after he got into his pants, and then the prickling sensation of needles under his skin as his leg brace was placed and buckled.

Thomas handed him his cane.

Julius moved his legs a little, testing the extent of the pressure on the nerves surrounding his leg joints. Strangely enough, he didn't feel as though his blood was the equivalent of liquid fire channeling through his veins.

It had been a long time since he had felt as well as did. Julius wondered if his mother had administered a new pain reliever while he was sleeping.

"Where is Mother?" He suddenly asked, turning to Thomas.

"The Madam is still resting," Thomas informed him, "The healers have instructed her to remain in bed for a couple more days."

"... Oh," Julius adjusted his cuff links as his face rapidly grew sullen.

No doubt, she had been at his bedside since he fell into another comatose state.

Julius had been well two weeks before. Though he was still bedridden, he had believed he would attend classes at the end of spring. But after reading that blasted letter, he was taken off guard and once again succumbed to his fragile health.

The entire reason he was on bed rest for the entirety of spring in the first place was due to the invasive procedure he had on his leg after the spring holiday. The recuperation period took longer than expected, however, when he started to get fevers—to no one's surprise.

He was used to being bed bedridden for long durations, so his mother would nurse him while forgetting her own wellbeing.

"We will go to town today," Julius decided as he slowly stood.

"Are you sure this is wise, Master?" Thomas asked with a skeptical raise of his brow.

But Julius was adamant. With a brace on his left leg and a cane on his right hand, he said with finality to his tone, "We will go."

---

"Julius?"

Julius was taken aback the moment he stepped into the flower shop.

Vermillion red eyes looked at him in surprise, soon landing on his cane for a second longer, and then back onto his face.

The last time Julius saw Nazareth, the boy still wore his hair like a veil made from a bird's nest. His eyes, though, still remained his most prominent feature.

Without all that hair hiding his face and serving as a distraction to Nazareth's overall appearance, it was difficult not to notice how eerily similar Nazareth's eyes were to his own.

Few have ever noticed, considering how often Julius was absent in the social circle and Nazareth banned from a good few dozen social events due to inappropriate behavior. He and Nazareth rarely stood next to each other long enough for anyone to make the comparison.

But dispel all thoughts of any possibilities.

It was a known fact that all Elysium descendants were blond. There was zero chance of any children being born with black hair, no matter who the surrogate mother was, ever since the beginning of his family history some thousand years ago.

Something about unusually dominant recessive genes, according to his mother. She had a field day scouring the records for any children born without blonde hair and his father had to drag her out when she started camping in the archives.