Chapter 1

A/N: Hello, this is my first time writing about Mako so if he seems a bit out of character the I apologize. I am also using an OC that I made in this fanfic. Have a good time reading!

Fire.

It was the last thing I saw before I blackout.

I was sitting there watching my house burn down with my mother and father in it. I didn't know how it happened. It was all so sudden. My mother, a firebender and my father who is a non bender. That's all I remember about them. Not their background, extended families or more. 

"You've done such a good job subbing in for Mako while he's at the South Pole with the avatar. Maybe you should take his job," Chief Beifong said to me while looking at documents. I chuckled lightly at her comment but still stayed humble. "There's no need for that but maybe we could both have the job," I proposed to her. She raised her eyebrow and looked over towards me. She placed the short stacks of paper down and looked me straight in the eye. "You might actually be ok to something," she said to me, "but for now, you're dismissed."

I nodded and walked out of her office. Could I possibly get the job? I shook that thought out of my head and walked back to my workspace. As I was walking, I could hear murmurs from all around me.

"I heard she busted three cases in one day!"

"She's a prodigy."

"That girl is kind of cute, don't you think? Haha!"

The voices of the other cops. It's kind of overwhelming that they view me this way. I tried my best to block out the words as I walked over. I quickly paced to my seat and slide in. My head slammed against the surface of the desk. There was a tap on my shoulder but I didn't bother to look up.  The person cleared their throat. It sounded like a man. He tapped again and I replied.

"What," I said so dreadfully as if I didn't want to be here. "This is my desk," he said to me. I fixed my posture and looked up to him. His expression changed to a wistful face. Out of nowhere, he hugs me. I tried to break free but he was holding on too tight. Who is this dude? He finally let go.

"Who are you," I was finally able to say after he pulled away. He was on one knee—face to face with me. "Y-you don't remember me," he asked me, swallowing his tears. It was just me and him in the room. This isn't as embarrassing as it would be if the room was filled. I shook my head and apologized. "I'm sorry, you must have the wrong girl," I told him and got up. "But keep on searching cause I do believe you'll be able to find the one," I smiled at him, hoping that would give him a sense of hope. "Y-yea," he stuttered. I walked away from the desk and exited the room.

"That was so weird," I said to myself but I brushed it off.

As I was walking back to my apartment, I stopped by a club where I used to work at. The bell chimed as I walked in. I was greeted with the loud melodies of jazz. Such a wonderful genre.

"Ey' Ryujin," the owner, Koto, greeted. He was the one that took me in after I left the Triple Threat Triads that one night. He was like my second father and I was like his daughter. He taught me house to play all sorts of instruments in his jazz club. "Hey Koto. How's life been treating you," I asked to create small talk. "Been noodlin' around lately y'know. And recently, I just hired a rusty gate but he'll get better," he answered. "Are you still trying to make jazz slang a thing," I asked him and rolled my eyes. "Ey' when you become a fella like me, you gotta do somethin'. I'm old." I just laughed. "You're not that old, yet," I tell him, "I'll come around next time and possibly play a piece but I'll see you later, alligator," I said while that last part being somewhat confused. "Alligator? Brilliant," he exclaimed. I waved goodbye and exited the club.

I began to walk home and on my way I spot the guy who tapped on me. Hoping that I don't lose him, I started to walk faster towards him. I was very curious but I stopped. I turned around and began walking towards the my apartment building. I opened the door, questioning myself. Was this really for the best?

A/N: So that was chapter one. Will they ever meet again? Who know but check in every Saturday for an update. Bye bye!!