ii. CHAPTER TWO

_______________________

a sign from the goddess bast

THE SOFT, DREARY DRIZZLE sound of the rain had flooded through the apartment, pattering against the smooth glass of the windows leading to the fire escape, which Kenna found could be in need for a slight tune up given the way the metal seemed to creak with almost every step she took. For something she was supposed to trust to save her life, it wasn't very trustworthy. She wouldn't even dare to put her plants out there, rather, having them lined up against the wall.

Aniyah wasn't too much of a fan about the arrangement, eyeing the rows of plants that practically shrouded the living room space with pursed lips. Muttering under her breath about how she couldn't wait for the wretched fire escape to be fixed before they were either overrun by fauna, or metal caved way underneath them when one of them rested their weight on a weak spot. They could end up like Mrs. Carson on the fifth floor, poor woman nearly having a heart attack from situation and chewing the landlord a new one.

"Are most American living spaces run by lazy bums who rather charge their residents high prices, rather than work to accommodate their needs?"

Kenna glanced from where she stood beside her snake plants, hand grasped around a spray bottle filled with water. "From what we are living through at the moment, I assume so. It is rather sad."

"It is. I do not see why we can't simply find a place more fitting? Such as with more space, an owner willing to go above and beyond when needed, and, oh, did I mention more space?" Aniyah questioned.

"You know why," Kenna said, dousing her plants with a gentle spray. Her hands ran over darken green edges, humming a rhythmic symphony under her breath in her native tongue. The leaves of the plant, as if sensing her prescence, curved in alert and drew close to her hand, soaking up the energy sprouting from it. "at least until I finish my intern year, than we'll find a new place."

The warrior woman did not seem impressed. "Does this have to do with the fact that you are keeping that friend, of yours you work with, under the belief that your parents would send you a check if you had done so?"