Ideally, they would have gone back and hidden in someone's house or gone about their daily lives as Molly and Arthur had been pretending to. But with the Ministry in chaos, they couldn't risk it for Sirius was sure to be captured to lure in Harry Potter. 

Remus didn't say anything as they sat there enjoying the cold December morning. She saw him sneak glances at her but didn't warrant it any attention. It was distracting really. 

An hour later, wishing that he'd just say what's on his mind instead of trying to muster up the courage, she turned to voice her thoughts when they were interrupted.

"Wotcher," she heard Tonks' voice followed by the crunching of some leaves on the frozen ground. She came into view in her usual garb, this time sporting a more natural hair colour. 

"S'been a while. Finally managed to track you lot down. Kingsley's been on my nerves about that you know," Tonks grinned, happy to see people outside Kingsley.

They both mumbled their Hellos and got up to greet her properly.

"How is everyone? How did you find us?" Remus inquired. This trio had been keeping tabs by trying to sneak newspapers at every town they happened to come across as they made their way closer to Hogwarts.

"I'm an Auror remember. I have my ways," she winked and hugged Remus. Emma stiffened at the sight and turned away suddenly finding the intricate details on her jumper interesting.

"Well don't mind me now. I'm just here for a few days to update you three. Then I'll be back to report to Kingsley."

"Lovely," Emma said coolly. 

Liar, Remus thought.

Tonks didn't miss the sharpness in her voice and shot a furtive glance at the werewolf.

"I'm sure Lupin doesn't need my company anymore with you here. I'll be inside," she made up her mind to take that dip in the lake now. Maybe it would relax her.

Was she jealous? Did this mean he still had a chance with her? Remus pondered when Emma shuffled back in.

"You know, you should really ask your girlfriend to lay off the death glares," Tonks said once Emma was in. Remus chuckled momentarily but then frowned. 

"You think?" he asked earnestly.

"I think that you've regretted it since the day you ended it. Merlin knows how you've survived the last few months out here with her." 

The werewolf didn't reply. He was deep in thought.

"Plus, I think Kingsley wouldn't appreciate how little she thought of me. Especially when I spend most of my nights in his bed," Tonks added. "But if she's jealous, maybe there's hope?" she tried to sound positive.

"She's stubborn. She absolutely refuses to give me the time of the day. In fact, I'm close to snapping at your cousin myself. He's been getting awfully handsy with her," he frowned. 

But he reminded himself that at the end of the day he still thought that this was best for them. He thought that perhaps getting back on talking terms would ease the tension between them. 

Although he knew it wasn't awkward tension. It was more of a sexual kind.

Something he was painfully reminded of when he heard her mumble in her sleep at night sometimes. If he was lucky it would be on nights, Sirius was outside on guard duty. 

She'd whisper his name and he would hear the sheets ruffle softly as she moaned. He'd lay on his back, in his bunk, painfully hard, wanting to ease her tension. But he couldn't do that. So he just lay there accepting his torture.