Chapter 2-SAFELY THUS

Chapter 2—SAFELY THUS

Something woke me.  My eyes flew open.  Unsure of where I was, I sat up startled and clutched my chest.  There was a deep, dull burn pressing its way through me.  I took a breath, though I had no need to breathe at all, and looked to my right.  Joshua was sound asleep on the bed next to me.  His dark, wavy hair twisted on the pillow and stuck up in places like he had been tossing and turning.  Emotion knotted in my throat; I had really escaped.  I shook my head, trying to clear my mind and figure out what was real. 

“Are you okay?” Joshua whispered, while he rubbed sleep from his eyes. 

“I just…I thought it was a dream.”  I was still feeling disoriented.

He rolled on his side, propping his head on his hand and smiled.  “Not a dream.”  He looked a little thinner than before I had been captured, but he still had the same lean, soccer player physique.

I laid back down, rolling to my side to face him.  He reached over with his free arm and pulled me closer.  “The dreams I was having…they were so…” I trailed off, sorry I said anything.

“Prophetic ones?  Or just dreams?”  He ran his fingers lazily up and down my arm, searching my face.  His eyes looked dark in the dim light, like emeralds, and I couldn’t see the gold flecks in them.

I hesitated for a split-second— “Just normal dreams… Nothing a hot shower and clean clothes won’t wash away.”  I fingered the collar of my shirt and grimaced comically at my clothing.  I was still in the clothes I had worn for days; they were filthy, still damp, and itchy after being in the ice bath.  I tried to fix my face with a pleasant look…but the dreams I had been having for weeks…there was a darkness in them that terrified me beyond imagination, and that was without mentioning the two visions I had dreamt the week before I escaped.

He narrowed his eyes at me, knowing me too well.  “I…”

There was a soft knock at the door; I wondered if that was what woke me in the first place.  Joshua got up and answered it.  “Sebastian was wondering if you could see him now.”  It was Peter’s voice.

“Sure,” he turned and looked at me as he exited.  “Be back in a bit.”  But I could see he didn’t want to leave me.

“I’ll try not to get kidnapped while you’re gone,” I smirked.

His face darkened.

“Too soon?” I looked at him doe-eyed.

He rolled his eyes.  “Uh, yeah, too soon.”                    

I walked to the door after him to see Peter.  He stood awkwardly outside and stepped back when I came into view.  I stepped into the hall and smiled, leaving the door open behind me.  His light, brown hair was longer than I had ever seen it.  Thick locks hung below his brows, occasionally catching in his lashes as he peered at me with cautious, brown eyes. Gentle curls relaxed on the collar of his shirt.  I leaned forward as if to take another step towards him, and he stiffened.  I rocked back on my heels, trying not to be offended, but hurt hit me hard.  His voice sounded strained: “Sebastian would also like to see you in a half hour or so, if you are feeling well enough.”

I nodded mutely and looked at the floor: generic, off-white laminate squares glared up at me.

“Ummm…Gabriel will be there too... Just to let you know…”

I found my voice.  “How have you been?”  I asked softly, my fingers still aching to reach out and give him a hug.  Peter had become my best friend.  He was the only person besides Joshua that had known me for any length of time.  I still felt incredible guilt over him getting sucked into this life because of me, even though he had repeatedly told me he had no regrets.