Chapter 3

Chapter 3

        I thought about screaming for help, but then I realized that there was no one around to hear me. Well no one except the wolf. I thought about running but knew that I would get only two feet before it would catch up to me. Well this is it. I'm going to meet my end by the hands, er paws of a wolf. Yet I'm supposedly going to be mated to a wolf. Ironic for me, isn't it?

        It was almost as if the wolf heard my thoughts because it suddenly lowered it's head to the ground in a submissive stance. Back in my freshmen year in high school, I had read a famous werewolf series and read all I could about wolves and their behaviors so when it bowed its head, I knew it was an act of  submission. 

        At the time though I was freaking out so I couldn't comprehend what the wolf was doing. It slowly drew closer, as if knowing that I was afraid. I knew that if you back away from a wolf, it would see you as the prey, trying to escape the predator's clutches so I sat completely still on the rock. It came within a foot away from me and I got a look into the creature's eyes. Its dark eyes didn't look like a wild animal. It was like looking into the eyes of a kind, yet powerful person. 

        I couldn't stand to look at the wolf anymore so I squinched my eyes shut and waited for the inevitable pain. After what seemed like hours, I felt something lower into my lap. I opened one eye and looked down to find that the animal had layed its head down in my lap. It looked back up at me, as if trying to show that it wouldn't hurt me. 

        At this moment, a thought popped into my head that seemed stupid but yet I still spoke aloud.  "A-are you a werewolf?"

        Don't be ridiculous, Crystal! It can't possibly be a-

        The wolf picked its head off of my lap, cocked it to the side and stuck out its tongue in a playful gesture. 

        "I'll take that as a yes then?" I couln't believe that I was talking to werewolf when only a few minutes ago I was terrified out of my mind. 

        It put its head back in my lap and tapped my hand with its snout. I placed my hand on its head and started to stroke its fur. As I was petting the huge wolf, a low rumbling came from its throat and it closed its eyes.

        "I didn't know wolves purr." It didn't seem to like my statement because it opened its eyes and looked up at me in an exasperated manner. 

        "Well that was definitely a purr. And besides, can't you just transform back? You know, into a human that can talk?"  It took a step back from me and turned to face the woods. It ran to the edge of the forest, gave me one last glance as if to say "stay", then took off. 

        I waited for about five minutes watching the stream trickle into the pond before I heard the rustling of trees. I turned to face the direction of where the wolf left and in its place stood the most handsomest guy I had ever seen, leaning against a moss covered tree. He was even better looking than the other werewolves I had seen back at the Serbian pack mansion. He had shaggy, short black hair that was swept to the side like he had just ran his fingers through it. His eyes were the same, dark green, kind eyes that the wolf had. He had only jeans on which allowed me to view his very muscular chest. My eyes were roaming over his dark swirl tattoos that apparently all werewolves had, when I heard him clear his throat.

        "Satisfied yet?" He asked. I immediately looked down, embarrassed. I couldn't let him see how much he affected me because for all I knew, he could already be mated to someone else. But if he wasn't, I wouldn't complain about looking at that for the rest of my life.