Chapter Twenty Eight

Shigure left Amai in his best friends' care. He trusted them to take her back to her apartment while he returned home to explain everything to the kids.

He made his way back home with a new found confidence after reading her letter. He was still upset but his anger towards her had lessened. Of course he was still a little upset with her since she didn't tell him anything but he understood why she didn't. If she had told him, then he wouldn't have allowed it. However, he was now confident that she would return before the end of the weekend.

Upon entering his home, Yuki, Kyo and Tohru all ran to him before he could even take his shoes off. They had half been expecting him to have returned with Amai but their hopes were deflated after seeing he was alone. Not only that, they were surprised at seeing how calm he was.

"What...happened...?" Kyo asked, trying his best to keep calm. "Where is she?"
"Let's sit and I'll explain everything to you."
"Why are you so relaxed?!" Kyo suddenly yelled. "What did Akito do to her? We have to get her back! Why is this happening again?!"
Tohru looked at him sadly. "Kyo..."
Yuki placed his hand on his shoulder. "Calm down, Kyo. Shigure will explain everything."
Shigure breathed out softly. "The situation isn't as bad as it looks. I know it doesn't seem that way but once I tell you what's happening, you'll understand."

They all moved to the other room and sat around the table. Shigure looked at each of them as they stared at him awaiting an explanation.

He took a deep breath in and out as he tried to figure out what to say first. "Amai...never went to Tokyo. That was never her plan. She told us she was going there because she didn't want us to know. She knew we would stop her if we knew what she was doing. She's been planning this for the past few weeks."
"She wanted to get her memories erased..?" Kyo asked. It was like he was just dealt the biggest betrayal. "Did she not want to know us anymore..?"
"No, that isn't her intention, Kyo. You know more than anyone that she loves us. She went to break the curse."

All three of them were in shock, their eyes widening. They had become speechless, not knowing what to say.

Shigure continued. "She knows that Akito basically hates her so she knew Akito would give the order to have her memories erased again. So...she went to Akito. She thought that perhaps by speaking to her, she could convince Akito to look into her heart and release us from the curse. That was the best case scenario. But she knew that possibility was incredibly slim and there was a high chance she would lose her memories again. Do you all remember how you brought her memories back?"
Yuki nodded. "Miss Honda began to trigger her memories and we used that to make her remember...us."
"Exactly. Amai has filled her old apartment with memories of us. That will force her memories to return."
"And then she'll come back!" Tohru smiled with hope.
"Wait," Kyo said with confusion. "Won't Akito just erase her memories again?"
Shigure shook his head. "No, because she made a deal with Akito. She told Akito that when her memories return, it will prove that her love is stronger than the curse. And when she does return, Akito has to free us from the curse."
"Do you think that will work?" Yuki asked, also sounding hopeful.
"I do. Amai wrote a letter to me. She knew I would be angry and upset that she didn't tell us but she explained it all to me in the letter. She returned to us before and it was a miracle. No one's memories ever return but hers did. And I know her memories will return again. She has, is, and will always be a part of our family and that bond is strong."
Tohru clasped her hands together and smiled. "I know that she will return, too."
Yuki also smiled softly. "We'll be waiting for her."

Shigure smiled upon seeing their hope before looking at Kyo. His head was down, his eyes staring at the table.

"Kyo? What's wrong?"
"I'm thinking..." He lifted his head to reveal a mischievous smirk on his face, "...of all the ways I'm gonna get back at Amai when she gets back."