A Two Year Old And An Exploding Planet

Nico's POV

"Sunny, want to get this one?" I asked.

The Angels were on a distant planet in the far reaches of the galaxy. It was a cold, bitter, icy planet, and it was about to explode on itself.

So we were escorting the people of the planet to a safer planet. By that I mean one that was not about to explode.

We were taking them by groups through the portals.

Sunny had been immortalized a long time ago at the young age of eleven. It wasn't the most desirable age to be immortal, but we had no choice. It was either join the Angels or die.

Because Sunny had gotten terminal cancer. Leukemia, to be more precise.

And she had fought long and hard. But on her deathbed, I had given her another choice. To join the Angels as an immortal, which would cure her deadly dieses. Or to go on to Elysium. But I couldn't bear to see the little girl Reyna, Shadow, Siren, Sparky, and I had almost raised to die so young.

Despite our efforts, Sunny had flat-out refused to go back to Camp Half-Blood. But everyone around Utopia had taken a liking to the little girl, and so she had stayed. She had everyone wrapped around her little finger.

But even our most skilled healers couldn't stop leukemia.

So now Sunny was our youngest Angel.

A pair of fingers snapped in front of my face, and I blinked back to reality.

Reyna was standing, hands on her hips, and though I couldnt see her face because of the hood, I could make a very good guess she looked exasperated.

"Archangel! You stupidus idiota! Back to reality!" She snapped.

I realize I had froze in the middle of helping Reyna get a group through a portal.

"Sorry, Dilexisti. Zoned out there." I muttered, glad the hood hid my flush.

"Yeah, I could tell. And Sunny was happy to take that group." Reyna said with a sigh.

"This is the last one, right?" I asked.

"Yeah. Shadow, Siren, Sparky, and Sunny have all taken their groups through. You took yours through earlier, so mine is the last." Reyna answered.

We helped an elderly woman with blue skin through the portal.

The planets inhabitants were similar to humans in many ways. The only difference was that their skin was blue, and that they had frost breath.

There was only three people left, two women and a man, when one of the woman let out a shriek.

"My baby! She's gone!" The young, blue-skinned woman shrieked.

Reyna glanced at me.

"I'll get the woman. You get the others." I responded.

Then I hurried over to the distraught woman.

"What baby, Ma'am?" I asked.

"My baby! She-she was with me just a minute ago, but now she's gone! She's just a little girl! Barely two! Her name is Hannah." The woman cried.

I sighed and turned back to Reyna.

"You take everyone threw, then you go too. I'll find the baby and portal out." I said.

Reyna grabbed my hand, kissed me quickly, then pulled away breathlessly.

"Don't die." She said.

I smiled.

"We seem to be parting like this more and more often." I sighed.

Reyna nodded glumly.

"Yeah. And I don't think it's going to stop anytime soon, unfortunately. Now go!" She said before shoving me towards the village we had evacuated.

I spread my wings and flew.

The village was a tiny thing, with only a few houses scattered around. It was surprisingly easy to spot the little girl.

She was stuck, in the middle of a circle of lava.

The once-snowy planet was reducing to a lava-pitted wasteland. Large areas of the planets crust had already fallen away, and the little girl was stuck in the center of one of those sinking areas, to far down to even see the top.

So I folded my wings and let myself drop rapidly to where the little girl had gotten stuck.

The two-year old girl smiled when I landed, wings tucked against my back.

"Angel!" She exclaimed.

"Come here, Hannah. Time to go. That was very naughty, running away like that." I scolded.

The little girl held up a hand-sewn bunny.

"Fuzzy!" The little girl insisted.

"Oh. You wanted your doll? That's all well and good, but we have to go now. Come here." I said before scoping the little girl up and spread my wings.

But before I could take off and fly to where the ground was sturdy and I could safely open a portal, the planet shook, and I cursed some very nasty things.

I hoped two-year old Hannah couldn't understand Italian. Or Greek.

I wrapped my wings around the little girl and I protectively as the planet exploded.