What we've got here is a failure to communicate.

Kiara POV

I woke up the next morning to people talking in the kitchen. I sat up and went to see what all the commotion was about. John B was sitting at the table eating. He looked good, maybe a little pale. He still had a long recovery road though. You can't bounce back from a stab wound. 

Everyone was sitting eating, except Sarah, she was still asleep. Pope had made pancakes. I was surprised, I didn't know he could cook. They tasted delicious though. It could have been because I hadn't eaten since lunch yesterday, but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"John B, how are you feeling?" I asked. 

"Better than yesterday, It still hurts a lot though." He said slowly. 

"Not to be a downer but my mom comes home from her shift in less than an hour. You guys will need to leave soon." Luisa explained. 

"Yeah school starts soon we should go." Pope added. 

I woke Sarah and the guys helped John B into the van. We dropped the two at John B's house than Pope JJ and I went to school. Luisa showed up a few minutes later. Before the first bell rang JJ pulled me into a empty classroom. 

"How are you?" He asked.

"Fine." I assured. 

"Yesterday was pretty messed up. I just wanted to make sure you know none of this is your fault." He explained.

My throat closed. I was on the verge of tears. "I know." I mumbled as he hugged me. 

All day at school I could not stop thinking about yesterday. I wondered what actually went down in the house. Would Rafe and Barry come after us. On all that Wheezie now knows, and I'm not sure how much I can trust her. She did tell Rafe. I'm getting tired of tying loose ends, and having to fix everything.

After school I went to check on John B and Sarah. JJ had surfing club and Pope had academic decathlon practice. I picked up some extra supplies from the pharmacy incase his wound needed changing. 

When I arrived at his house It was quiet, as I expected then to be sleeping. When I got inside nobody was home. I called their names and checked every room, but they were gone. I texted Pope and JJ but they hadn't heard anything from them. I figured they went back to Luisa's so she could change the bandage. I headed there. 

When I knocked on the door her mom answered. "Hi you must be Kiara, how can I help you?"

"Is luisa here?" 

"Oh no, she's volunteering at the hospital today." 

"So, no one's here?" I questioned. Peeking inside the house.

"Nope, just me." 

"Thanks." I said quickly leaving. Weird where could they be.

 I went to the beach to pick JJ up. He jumped in my car soaking wet. "I haven't seen them anywhere. I doubt they got too far with John B's condition." 

Just then my phone blared in my pocket. I didn't recognize the caller ID. I put it on speaker phone so JJ could hear. 

"Kiara!" I heard a distressed voice say. "Thank God, it's Sarah. Can you come pick me up?" 

"Sarah we've been looking for you. Where are you?" I questioned. From her tone something was wrong I worried the worst.

"I'm at the police station. The cops came and took us. John B's in the hospital. Please come." 

What The Fuck. "Yeah, JJ and I are coming right away." I sped to the police station. 

JJ put his hands on his face stressfully. "Do you think John B got worse and they turned themselves in?" JJ asked.

"Either that or Rafe called the cops on them."

Honestly anyone could have seen them, and called the cops. When we got there we sat in the waiting room for over an hour. Sarah finally came out. She had bags under her eyes and they were tear stained. 

I hugged her. "What happened?" I asked confused.

"Someone called the police on us. They questioned me for like five hours. We are no longer declared dead." Sarah explained

"So you weren't charged with anything?" JJ confirmed.

"No, they said i'm free to go. Can you take me to the hospital, they took John B in." 

We piled in the car and headed for the hospital.

"Did they say why the cops were called on you?" I asked Sarah.

"Something about child endangerment." She said.

I looked at JJ confused. "But you didn't endanger any children." JJ remarked.

"No they said John B and I were the children in danger." Sarah rephrased. 

She explained everything to us. How they didn't call her parents since she wasn't legally arrested, and the police also can't make any statements about them. 

"But one question. Why would Rafe call the police about you being endangered?" I asked.

"I don't think it was Rafe." Sarah admitted. 

When we arrived at the hospital John B he was getting a CT scan to test for internal bleeding. The three of us waited in the waiting room. Today was the most I've spent in waiting rooms.

Luisa showed up. She had finished her shift.  

"Kiara can I talk to you." She walked me into a storage closet. 

"Yeah what's up?" I asked.

"Promise you won't tell anyone."

"Your kinda scaring me." I smirked.

She looked me dead in the eyes. "It was me. I called the police for John B and Sarah." Luisa said shamefully.