𝟼 || 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚖𝚙𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜

vi

vi. the champions

ϟ

"I don't believe it!" Padma said, in a stunned voice, as the Hogwarts students filed back up the steps behind the party from Durmstrang. "Krum, Matilda! Viktor Krum!"

"For heaven's sake Padma, he's just a Quidditch player," said Matilda, rolling her eyes.

"Only a Quidditch play?" Asher Morgenstern cried from behind Matilda, sounding as though he couldn't believe his ears. "Matilda — he's one of the best Seekers in the world!"

As they recrossed the entrance hall with the rest of the Hogwarts students heading for the Great Hall, Matilda saw several of the Ravenclaw Quidditch players jumping up and down on the soles of their feet to get a better look at the back of Krum's head. Several girls were frantically searching their pockets as they walked —

"Oh, I don't believe it, I haven't got a single quill on me —"

"D'you think he'd sign my hat in lipstick?"

"Aha," squealed Matilda, mocking the high-pitched squeals coming from girls like Claire Morgenstern. "Somebody kill me now!"

"I'm getting his autograph if I can," said Padma. "You haven't got a quill, have you, Luna?"

"No, sorry, no quills," said Luna. "But I've got some Twizzlers."

Luna offered Padma a piece of the stringy candy that had been given to her by a muggle-born student as they walked over to the Ravenclaw table and sat down. Padma and many other girls took care to sit on the side facing the doorway because Krum and his fellow Durmstrang students were still gathered around it, apparently unsure about where they should sit. The students from Beauxbatons had chosen seats at the Ravenclaw table, much to Matilda's disliking. They were looking around the Great Hall with glum expressions on their faces. Three of them were still clutching scarves and shawls around their heads.

"And why do they have to sit at our table?" Matilda questioned, leaning across the table to whisper to Padma. "This is a magical school for wizards. They couldn't magically make more tables appear for the guests?"

"I know," Padma grumbled, "I would much rather Durmstrang."

Viktor Krum and his fellow Durmstrang students had settled themselves at the Slytherin table. Matilda could see Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle looking very smug about this. As she watched, Malfoy bent forward to speak to Krum.