𝟺 || 𝚞𝚗𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝚌𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚜

iv

iv. unforgivable curses

ϟ

The next two days passed without great incident unless you counted Neville melting his sixth cauldron in Potions. Professor Snape, who seemed to have attained new levels of vindictiveness over the summer, gave Neville detention, and Neville returned from it in a state of nervous collapse, having been made to disembowel a barrel full of horned toads.

"You know why Snape's in such a foul mood, don't you?" said Ron to Harry and Hermione as they watched Matilda teach Neville a Scouring Charm to remove the frog guts from under his fingernails.

"Someone finally suggested he add shampoo into his hygienic routine?" Matilda laughed, thinking how brilliant her joke was.

Neville and Ron offered a laugh as well, and while Ron would be the first to admit that Matilda's answer was better, it was not what he had in mind.

"I know the answer," said Harry, who had also been amused by Matilda's joke. "Moody."

It was common knowledge that Snape really wanted the Dark Arts job, and he had now failed to get it for the fourth year running. Snape had disliked all of their previous Dark Arts teachers, and shown it — but he seemed strangely wary of displaying overt animosity to Mad-Eye Moody.

Matilda had noticed that whenever Moody and Snape were together — at mealtimes, or when they passed in the corridors — Snape would avoid Moody's eye, whether magical or normal.

"I reckon Snape's a bit scared of him, you know," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Maybe Moody has something on him," Matilda guessed. "He might know something we don't."

"Perhaps Moody knows something about Professor Snape that no one else does..." 

ϟ

Matilda was not able to be with her fellow Ravenclaws in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Since she had requested to take almost every class that was offered once again this year her schedule had to be a little different than those in her house and year. At the time the fourth-year Ravenclaws would be in Defense Against the Dark Arts, she would be meeting with Professor Trelawney for her one-on-one lesson.

The classroom was practically empty when Matilda arrived. Only two other students, a Gryffindor and Slytherin. They sat on opposite sides of the room and didn't dare to make eye contact. Matilda almost laughed at the unneeded tension the students were putting between themselves.