#29 You're breaking up with me?

Start from the beginning

"Liv... It was just ... a kiss. A bit of fun... I'm sorry I shouldn't have done it, I knew you were inexperienced and would read too much into it. I can't... I don't date girls." 

I burst out laughing at his panicked response, I wanted to keep it up longer but I just couldn't. Liam quickly realized I was playing him, picked up another soccer ball and launched it at me.

"Fuck. You're such a dick sometimes." He chuckled out, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Who knew Liam cared enough about my feelings to let me down gently." I teased through stifled laughter.

"Stop it you'll ruin my street cred." He wore that beautiful smile on his face that made my insides clench. 

"You stink go get a shower." I reached out and shoved his shoulder away playfully. On impact Liam flinched and stepped backwards out of my reach. Every muscle in his upper body was visibly tensed and that smile melted off his face. He blinked away the darkness that threatened to swallow him whole and rebuilt himself in front of me.

"You coming?" he finally managed to spit out.

"To the showers? I looked confused but I could see my question lightened the atmosphere between us. He raised his eyebrows up and down in a suggestive manner with that cocky smile lighting up his face. A complete turn around from moments ago.

"If you want, but I was more meaning to the diner for that fry up." he replied. 

"Sure." 

***

We sat in some small town diner filling a huge table right in the center of the room. The jocks sat on one end, the cheerleaders on the other and then Tia & I opposite each other in the middle. I don't know why I agreed to this, surrounded by all of these people put me so far out of my comfort zone I wasn't sure if I would ever find my way back in. 

A really old waitress came up to our table, she was retirement age but wore a tiny uniform that showcased wrinkled arms and legs. Her grey hair remained pinned back in, trapped inside a hairnet and she wore bright red lipstick messily on her lips. 

"The usual boys?" She said with a cold smile and not one boy objected to her offer. "11 fry ups, 11 cokes" she popped out her pink tongue a little as she scribbled on her small notepad. "And you girls, the same?" The girls nodded in agreement and the old lady continued "Fantastic, 12 strawberries and pancakes, hold the pancakes. 12 waters." 

I glanced at Tia who looked as perplexed as me, strawberries and pancakes - without the pancakes. So just a bowl of strawberries? Tia interrupted the grey haired lady as she collected up the menus, assuming our order was in with the girls.

"Uh.. we haven't ordered Ma'am." she gestured across the table towards me. "I'll have strawberries and pancakes WITH the pancakes." 

The waitress scribbled some more and then looked up at me with expectant eyes, everyone was looking at me with expectant eyes and I felt a lot of pressure. I wanted a fry up, a big greasy, unhealthy fry up but I felt like it was wrong to order that. I suddenly felt like whatever I ordered would be judged by all of these people. The girls would think that I was greedy and fat, the boys would think it's unattractive for a girl to polish off so much food.

"Miss?" The lady encouraged.

"I'll have the fry up." I quickly looked down at my fingers feeling my face burn with heat. 

The table resumed chatter around me as if nobody was really that bothered with my breakfast choice. I was seated at a table with twenty four other people and to outside onlookers Tia & I looked included, but in reality nobody spoke to us or made efforts to include us in their personal conversations. The jocks spoke about soccer and partying, the cheerleaders spoke about boys and makeup. Tia & I said chewed in silence, afraid to engage in our own conversation because we didn't feel comfortable with so many ears listening.