Deep In The Meadow: Thalico

Start from the beginning

"Oh," Thalia whispered into the awkward atmosphere. Suddenly, she realized what Nico said. "Did you say a few HOURS?"

Nico nodded numbly. "Thanks for waking me up," Thalia said with a small smile and gave Nico a quick hug before blushing and running away from the meadow. Back to the hunt, where she was man-hating and commanding Thalia again.

It was a small display of affection, just a hug. But to Nico and Thalia, that was the start of a friendship, a friendship that no one, not even the gods, could break.

...

Nico found himself deep in the meadow again, wondering if he would see Thalia again. Just like he had thought, Thalia appeared a second later, wearing casual clothes.

When she saw Nico, she was surprised. "Hi, what are you doing here?"

"Uh," Nico stuttered. "I just thought this was a great place to rest so... here I am."

Thalia chuckled softly and sat down, her back against the willow tree. She patted the space next to her. When Nico didn't move with a look of fear on his face, Thalia understood. She laughed again and patted the space next to her. "Come on, I won't bite."

Nico doubtfully sat down beside her. "This is a good place, isn't it? Calm and beautiful. It's like the whole world decided to grant us one place on Earth that is peaceful. Where everything is perfect. Where nothing would go wrong."

Nico nodded his head, agreeing with her. "I think this is a really lovely place."

Like you, Nico was tempted to add, but he stopped himself. She was a hunter, she wouldn't and couldn't date him. She would never love him back.

"Well," Thalia announced, standing up from her spot against the willow tree, "I better get going. I had little free time today, but there are lots of new recruits today."

Nico nodded in understanding and was prepared to wave her goodbye when Thalia crushed him in a hug. "See you soon."

Nico was too shocked to say anything.

...

Thalia founded herself liking the time she could spend with Nico. She may not have been able to act on her feelings for him, but she could take all the chances she was given. She could talk to him, she could hug him, she could love him from afar.

"Free time!" Thalia said to herself with enthusiasm as she finished all of her chores. Suddenly, Artemis appeared in front of her.

"I have a task for you," Artemis announced.

"What is it, milady?" Thalia asked quietly. She was looking forward to meeting Nico today. He told her he had a surprise for her.

"There is this girl..." Thalia listened carefully to Artemis, but couldn't help but look at the meadow from faraway. "... got it?"

Thalia nodded her head as she went into her tent to quickly pack a bag. As she went, she whispered to the meadow. "I'm sorry, Nico."

Nico waited for Thalia with a rose in his hands. He had decided that he would tell Thalia how he felt. That he understood if he couldn't be with her. That he will love her from afar, though.

He waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, he gave up as the last sunlight disappeared beyond the horizon. He dropped the rose he was holding and shadow traveled away, a lone tear slipping down his cheek.

...

Thalia fell asleep the moment her head hit the pillow when she got back from her lone mission. She was sent to rescue this girl. Who knew she would be surrounded by both monsters and men?